help becoming legal in NY

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JJLandscapes, Feb 21, 2006.

1. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Me and my partner have 70-80 accounts being renewed for next year and we came to the conclusion since we will be doing this for our main source of income we need it to be legit. Want to know what path to take
    already got quotes on insurance and the basic will be about a 1000 my agent already told me.

I searched everywhere online and not sure who do i actually call for licensing information?
    Whats the advantages between LLC,a Corporation, partnership.... Bottom line are any more expensive to run than the other... Does one make you pay more taxes... TRYING TO STAY CHEAP AS POSSIBLE i know landscapers who arent legit for almost 10 years now.

Going to sit down next week with the accountant but would like to know some information before i go in( new accountant old one just went to jail so he can be terrible).

Thank you very much

2. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

DBA will be the cheapest way for you to go tax wise. Insurance you sound fine... actually that would be VERY cheap for my area. Do you guys need to get comp? (yes if you have employees). What counties do you work in? They will dictate whether or not you need a license. Besides that, you just need to be certified by the DEC if you want to apply pesticides.

3. JJLandscapes

Im in nassau county i know a license is needed as well as insurance in my area. Can you get insurance with just a DBA?

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

With that many accounts I would set-up an "S" Corporation. This gives you the most protection from liability, which should be your first concern. I am filling out the paperwork as we speak for mine, the fee's are around $150. Basically to mow lawns you just need a DBA at the very least in NY. However if sued they can take your house. That is why the corp. Get 1 million GL and commercial business insurance, If you haven't finalized anything yet contact Peerless Insurance, They don't seem to mind doing business in NY and will also give you plow coverage if that is your gig. (vmontaglione@mgminsure.com Victor should be able to help you out) You will also want to get bank account just for the business, an EIN for taxes, a phone just for the business, a real email / website just for the business. You get the point. Good luck.

5. Grn Mtn

insurance with DBA yes.
    pesticide license is a PAIN, sub it out. Or apply organic:)

6. JJLandscapes

Interesting all right thanks. Any clue who needs to be contacted for licensing in NY? orwhat website can head me towards the right direction

7. Grn Mtn

8. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

DEC for the pesticides... and you can be licensed as a DBA no problems. They will simply ask for your social as opposed to your EIN. Regardless of that though they want to see your insurance.

Wouldn't have to go through NY for the license. You'd have to go through Nassau county. Just like I go through Westchester County for the contractor's license. Some counties don't require it.

9. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

What about just starting out with no accounts? Still go legit?

10. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

JJ just started all my legal stuff this year , im in nassau too , PM me if you need any helpful 411 , i got my insurance ,llc , and just did consumer affairs (waiting reply) ,pesticide , anything i can help u out