1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help !! Bid bit me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinky, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Stinky

Stinky LawnSite Member

Put in bid on a newly built nursing home last Nov., just found out today that I got the contract. That is the good part. The bad part is that the new grass is now about 8" to 10" tall. Should I try to get double the per mow price and then some because I will have to mow twice and then rake it?? or am I binded by the contract I gave them, they are reasonable people and I have faith that they would understand. Also picked up 5 more of their properties, good news comes finally
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

personly i would take the loss in this situation because you have picked up 6 accounts with themjust raise the mower to 4 inches double cut it and the 2nd cut back it and go back in a day or 2 and get it to where it should be. but it wrong that they didn't call you letting you know you have the account, but some fault is yours, you could of checked in to see the outcome. good luck with what you do.
  3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Charge them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not your fault that they let the lawn keep growing and growing...
  4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Just do it and tell them its a favor but to let you know ahead of time next time to make it easier. Rub it in a little and do it for free. Thats what i would do but its up to your dicresion.

5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll disagree with Joshua...Charge them for the added time. They were lax in getting back to you andf it is their fault it is now in the state it is in. Explain it to them and I'm sure there will be no problem. Or else cut it down one week and slowly but surely it'll get better. I definitely would not eat that cost though!
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Hire someone with a Bush Hog to get the grass down to a workable level. I would make sure payment agreement was in writing and take the loss on this one property since you now have 7 properties total. Just as Bedros said, let them know you do not usually do this and this is a one time deal!

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

If I was in that situation, I would do what Joshua has posted. Especially, if you are only talking a few hours. If it was days to do the work I would try to get a charge in there. But, I would want to start off by sticking to the contracted price.

I would discuss the situation with the property managers or owners and let them know what you are doing. This way they will see you taking control of the problem. Otherwise you will get a phone call wanting to know why you cut the lawn so high. You could also inform them that there might be some dried grass on top for a little while. I would not rake it up unless they wanted to pay for it!

Having a talk with them will also give them the chance to offer to pay you. You get to see how they react. A breif meeting will only stregthen your new relationship with them!
  8. Man if you can't handle 8 to 10" turf you must have some
    real Stinky equipment.

Just double cut in two directions at the highest setting you
    can then let it lay and dry out for a week then come back and double cut again.
  9. WC - LC

WC - LC LawnSite Member

Since you got 5 other propertyies from them, I wouldn't double price them either BUT, I would let them know ( in subtle way ) that they have created a lot of extra work for you and because it is so tall it will take maybe 2-3 cuts to start shaping up and looking good.
  10. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Oh My I hate to say it but I agr.... agre ......agree with sss..ss. Stone. Nah just kidding bout the hate to say it part.
    But Stone is right, lower it to the level it should be over a few cuts. Cut it high the firsr time and lower it one notch every time.

Is it a Beverly property? If it is be prepaired to wait 60 days for your money. Ive done properties for them for several years.