Help... Bid in the morning.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gtotoy, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

I need a little help on this bid, its simple job consisting of removing 13 6-7' hemlocks that have only been in the ground 2 yrs. They seem to be seriously wind damaged and the cust. wants removed, also should be noted that these are gonna have to be done by hand,, as cust wants no bobcat, truck etc... on his lawn.im not anticipating all that much difficulty in digging because the soil in that area in very sandy'ish. I was thinking in the neighborhood of $40 a piece for a total of like $520.00. and the estimate is at 9:00 tomorrow morn.(Sat).

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I woud bump it up to $845.

3. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply rodfather,, i was thinking i was coming in low,, but $65 a pop 'ehh? would u include filling in the holes at that #?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Probably...how much can u lose if u don't?

5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Hold up... how long could it possibly take to rip out 13 dead little 6'-7' trees???? they should pop right out being only 2 years.. it should take 2 hrs the absolute most with 2 men...

MY BID:

Labor : $200.00
    Dump fee: (8) yards = $160.00 (i would actually chip the brush/dump the stumps)

TOTAL : $360.00

PROFIT = ~~ $290.00 in about (2) hrs.

6. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply rodfather,, i was thinking i was coming in low,, but $65 a pop 'ehh? would u include filling in the holes at that #?

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

paps, how do you figure it should take 2 hours with 2 men, if it would take you 2 men to do that job in 2 hours you need to come and work for me. 2 6'-7' hemlocks, the home owner probably bought them in a 5 gallon contanier or in b&b which would be about the same, but they would have been about 3'-4' heigh, now they're 7' so i would be safe to safe if that was the case they doubled in size above ground as well as below, meaning instead of having a 3' root ball they probably have a 6' root ball and when gtotoy starts to dig them up he will have to use loppers to cut the roots unless he wants to spend a lot of time getting roots that extend out 6' 360 degrees( 6' at the most) and what is he gunna do with these hemlocks take them back to his house and burn them, no i don't think so. he will have to pay most likely to dump them somewhere. i could go on but i won't.

30-40 mins each hemlock will be able the time it will take to remove them at most depending on how fast you work. plus add the fact of time included to take them to where he will dump them. i would say 2-3 loads on a standard pick-up truck. i would bid this at $750- $850

8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

guy... first of all chances are after (2) years the roots are not 100% fully established and are NO where near 6 ft. all the way around the tree... a 6'-7' ft hemlock tree, (which he states are dead due to wind burn) are twigs!!! It would take all off 10 minutes to zip all (13) trees from stump at the bottoms... 2 HOURS MAX to do that job being that the trees are only (2) years planted... And i stand by my estimates... I have removed countless amounts of trees like this and am sure it can be done in 2 hrs... i would load all 13 trees in my 14 ft. 6500 and off we go.
    I got news for you...if an experienced landscaper cannot remove 13 "twigs" in 2 hrs + - ... then your in the wrong profession...

To charge $850.00 to remove (13) twigs is LARCENY.

9. If they were B&B 2 hours at the most. $250 aprox

If they were potted maybe a 1/2 hour a tree, some will come out easier than others. 6 hours tops $650.

10. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys guys. It should be noted that they are not dead yet, just not performing well from the wind damage, they are on the way out. I feel as though my original thought about pricing it at $520.00 seems like robbery to me, i am more in line with what PAPS is saying, but i think its gonna be more like 4 hrs with two guys. As far as dumping is concerned we run out of a shop that is on 6 acres. So i might bid this one at $300.00. Please share the thoughts!