HELP! bid on baseball field

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Property Pro, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Property Pro

Property Pro LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to bid on lawn service for a baseball field. The foul poles are at 300" and center field is at 330" to give you an idea of the size. They want dethatching/bagging, aerating, and mowing. I was thinking $80 to mow, $175.00 to dethatch/bag, and $200 to aerate. I have never bid on an accout this big and could really use your help. Are my numbers even close or way off? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

2. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

How much time do you think it will take? What level do they expect you to keep this field at? I have taken care of many basefall fields, they are open but you need to realize how large a field actually is. your ztr may be fast but you will also need to mow the in field which will need to be done at lease once a week and maybe twice and this is usually with a bagger. They may even ask you to use a real mower such as a mclane to cut the infield. You will need to take great care as to not blow cippings onto the dirt if you side discharge. I wuld be looking at 2 hours for a solo operator especially if you have never cut one before. Break it down like this 1 hour for the out field no joke your machine maybe fast but you need to slow down to not tear up turf. 30 minutes for the infield this will more than likely be bagged. and 30 minutes for weedeating yes both inside and outside the fence around the dugouts. Also are you going to be taking care of any of the area around the outside fo the baseball field. 2 hours at 65 and hour is 130 dollars per mow unless you need to cut the infield twice aweek then add another 35 to your weekly amount.

to dethatch i would us a drag style dethatcher and charge about 150.
    to aerate I wuld charge 250 (make sure you mark those sprinkler heads or ouch you have got a problem. You can buy a bundle of white, purple, yellow flags for marking utilities. I use these to mark sprinkler headsand other obstackles such as water shutoffs and meter boxes. )

However without seeing the field I cannot give a real accurate bid. Well this is how I would start you can take it or leave it.

You also need to ask about fertilizing and overseeding whith rye or other early season blends.