Help Bidding State Facility

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I never had to bid something this big before. So iam kinda lost here. The lawn is 75 acres with mature trees scattered through out the lawn .Its all flat mowing.12 big building to trim around.There would be 4 guys doing the mowing.The state wants it on a per time mowing. All i want is a ball park figure of what some of you would charge.I know its hard without seeing the property.So thanks for your replies Bruce

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

FIGURED WITH THE WHEEL:
    I would look at your figures and see if you can successfully complete this site for $28/acre because of its size. I know that many people are slamming this figure, but if you have equipment to cut 6 acres/hr per machine with a Z, then your making some pretty good $$$ IMHO.

As far as the trimming is concerned, measure what you figure you have around buildings, walks, curbs etc - then divide by 75 ft/min and multiply your time by $32/hr.

Take your trimming estimate and divide by 3 for a figure to blow it off.

If you figure that the trimming wont take you but an hour or so including blowing off pedestrian/vehicular pavements then I would lean towards a flat $35/acre. Roughly $2600/cut.

FIGURED BY THE HOUR:
    I would calculate my times at $140/hr (35 man/hr) minimally.

If you figure that you can cut 6 acres an hour it should take about 13 hrs total. So I would figure 3.5 hrs to be safe ($490) then add in the hour or two for trimming and blowing ($70) and you've got about $560 for your bid per cut.

I dont know what your market will bare nor how you plan to bid but this is just a bare minimal suggestion by estimating hourly.

Hope this helps give you some kind of idea how estimates will vary.
    Kris

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Guy, ur WAYYYY off there pal.. !!!! If he charges a minimum of $28.00 an acre like you said... thats $2250.00 per cut !!!!! $560.00 is NOOOO way in the ball park.

Personally... I would be up around $35.00-$40.00 an acre and put that bid in at like $2500.00 or so...

75 acres is a TON :eek: of mowing... $560.00 is not the number on that... re-work your figures there way off.

4. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Boy too bad that wasn't in my area around here we get about $75.00 to $100.00 per acre.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Doesnt appear as though my way of calculating a bid for what I would charge was that far off yours -LOL!!!

The 28/acre was an absolute minimum for mowing only - plus the trimming - plus the blowing time to complete the site.

I dont know what his market is like but I know that here for something this large you would be hard pressed to get over 28/acre on a large site in our constantly slumping, economically depressed, cesspool we call Upstate -LOL!!!

As for the $35 man/hr that was a figure based on how many bid here as well. They take the total time it takes to complete the site and multiply that by a figure relatively close.

I was just trying to show him how it can be calculated differently and what the drastic differences are depending on how one bids.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with PAPS on this one...no less than $40 an acre. Obviously, there are some economies of scale on this job...it's flat and wide open. But I can tell you one thing. I grew up on a 98 acre farm and 75 acres of lawn is a ton of grass to mow. Don't forget to take into account Fall clean-up too.

I'm really surprised the State isn't mowing it themselves.

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently you went back and edited your post to include the $2600.00 price... but your bid at the bottom of "If you figure that you can cut 6 acres an hour it should take about 13 hrs total. So I would figure 3.5 hrs to be safe ($490) then add in the hour or two for trimming and blowing ($70) and you've got about $560 for your bid per cut. " thats the one i was commenting on being way off.... no big deal