1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help! Biz In Need Of Some Serious Upgrades!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cubzforce, Jul 16, 2004.

1. cubzforce

cubzforce LawnSite Member

Hey Yall. listen, i just got like all these new accounts, and these yards,both front and back, arent bigger than a minute. I have a 44" CubZForce, i have always relied on but NOW its rendered me useless and i have been having to borrow my moms Toro self propelled mower. I would like to get a serious heavy duty commercial self propelled/push type mower. OR OR OR! a 36 or 32" gear or hydro walk behind, What the crap am i gonna do. Its taking me so long now to cut these yards with this self propelled tiny mower that its not even funny. AND! my credit is screwed because of my EXWIFE's ASS and its really really really hard for me to get any body to finance me for ANYTHING. ive been turned down my MTD, even though im a loyal owner of theirs, JohnDeere, Scag, Ransome/Bobcats/ everybody has turned me down.Atleast all them companies that do their own financing. Any suggestions or hints or tricks. man im using the money i am making for mostly gas and 2-cycle oil, and some maintanence on my machines now. I am small time, with only like 10 yards, im a firefighter full time but those 10 yards keep me balls to the wall on my off days. ESPECIALLY with a dang 21" toro push mower. So any help yall can give me would be MOST helpful.Thanks again.!
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Mow the front with the 44, and the backs with the 21. Save up, and buy a bigger mower later. Save and use cash. Mebbe get a used commercial mower.

Mebbe get a helper just to run the 21" in back yards?

Don't have any good suggestions on credit thing, unless you have a relative to co-sign or help.

Better yet...sell the 44", and buy a 36 WB...or that Gravely Z34. You'll be able to do everything.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Not sure what the real question is..............
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Did I read your post right? You have ten accounts and most of the money from those accounts is going to gas and oil? I dont get it. Assuming your mowing is for extra money, you should be able to save up rather quickly for a used 36" belt drive w/b.
  5. cubzforce

Thanks for the info fellars, the cub isnt broken, its just too darn gone big to fit between all the DAG BLAME shrubs and and bushes and trees with mulch beds around um, AND i would say that the front yards are MAYBE like 50'x40' i am talking tiny, but its all good cause they pay the same, but like i was saying, if i had the RIGHT stuff for the job i could go on and get done quicker and move on and make more money.
  6. cubzforce

yeah now that IS true loctus, i am a firefighter full time and i work one day on and two days off and the money isnt REALLY spent on all gas and oil it just seems like i aint never got any extra ya know. I mean money from cutting that is. The money from the fire dept. (which isnt MUCH) goes to mortgage and truck and insurance and so and so on. GRASS money goes right back into my grasss biz
  7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey fire fighters u guys got to making something in profit. What size r these yards and how much r u charging?
  8. cubzforce

JBELL, the majority of them are like i said previously in my last post, MAYBE 50 wide x 40 foot long and the back yards, on some of them are maybe 80 by 100 foot, those i can use the cubzforce on. But the front, as you may know, i like to have looking the best because thats the curb appeal everyone likes and sees passing by. And i will do ANY SIZE residential for 40, unless its never been edged weedeated or blowed. then its 80. just gotta double my price cause im doing double the work ya know? Any tips, man i seem flat broke all the dang time and in my head i am thinking that if i GET newer,better, and the right equipment, i could make more money ya know. But my credits screwed irght now.