HELP! Blown Engine.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BoCutsLawnCare, Jul 16, 2012.

1. BoCutsLawnCare

BoCutsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Last week when I was mowing on my Wright Stander 36" there was a short grinding noise and some smoke then after that the thing still ran but shook violently. I took to to my local repair guy and with little evaluation he said most likely I blew one cylinder and the other is still good which is why it still runs (but poorly). He said that it would be about $1,500 for a new engine plus installation to have it running again. but weary of people in the repair business in general I decided to shop for my own engine on craigslist or ebay etc. so that I can price compare for myself. He told me that it didn't necessarily need to be the same engine it just had to have the same size crankshaft. So basically I was wanting to know....

Is the guy correct on what he is telling me?

Does anyone know of a good source to buy discount engines?

Is anyone knowledgable about what engines would be compatible with my mower?

Does anyone who has gone through this before have any advice they would like to pass along?

MY ENGINE: FH541V KAI 17.0Hp

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Find the spec number on the engine and google it. If that fails call places like smallenginewarehouse and see if they have anything that will cross into it. This would be a nice time to upgrade to something like a 21 or 23 hp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If that's the case, I'm no help......

4. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Lol! Good one! Sounds like he is dealin with a small engine repair guy & not a reputable dealer. He has no reason to weary of you, cuz your not tryin to make a buck off him. Your opinion will be honest & i personaly would like to hear your opinion on this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. laman

laman LawnSite Senior Member

Rob has always been a great help on this site. He always gives good advice and I would trust him...

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Some info on the engine would help. 1500 is probably a bit high for a replacement unless there is some shipping in there. Kawasaki charges a dealer $90 to ship a single engine to them. Makes no sense when I can get a Bobcat mower shipped to me for $80 but whatever.

What exactly is wrong with the engine? Compression/leakdown info? Are we sure its not a bad electric clutch?

If you do end up needing an engine, I would recommend buying it from a local dealer. I would avoid the discount online places. You will get better service if you need warranty support than if you go buy it someplace cheap.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well shucks, Ya'll talked me into it.....

I agree with pugs here ^^^^

A quick look at two of the cheapest places I know of without a spec number, I'm seeing $1300 at one and $1400 at the other. Also as pugs mentioned that's without a freight charge of anywhere from $90 to $125, The guy isn't out of line on engine price. I'd be more worried about labor to install.....

8. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you are pretty good with a wrench & mechanicaly inclined, order the engine & do the swap yourself. I would! Can't be to hard IMO. I swapped engines on my Toro ProLine but don't know how different your setup is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. The Lawn Ranger CT.

The Lawn Ranger CT. LawnSite Member

You might want to try (smallenginewarehouse.com)
    I just recently picked up a short block for my fh500v for around $500. (new), and was shipped out and here within 2 days

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki does'nt sell short blocks, just complete engines.