HELP! Blown Engine.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BoCutsLawnCare, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sharp,

SEW occasionally strips a damaged engine and sells it as a shortblock.

The thing I don't get is they advertise a OEM warranty on their engines and the OEM's tell us dealers NOT to warranty anything on a discount warehouse engine, So buyer beware.....

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely your local repair guy is correct in what he tells you but being that it involves this much money I would get a second opinion (and maybe a third) on what exactly is wrong with it, now if you want to save money ask your local repair guy if he can match you up on a Briggs and Stratton, the problem with ordering your own engine is there is no warranty support, you might however take a quick peek over at Northern tool.

3. The Lawn Ranger CT.

The Lawn Ranger CT. LawnSite Member

Sharp~
    Here's the link to the Kaw short-block page I ordered from~
    (Rob your right, the warranty is no good if you do your own work repair, and it is buyer beware)~
    I was just passing along some info to him on where I found a engine that helped me out~

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=FH500V-AM128233&desc=Kawasaki 17hp Vertical 1"x3-5/32" Shaft, Twin Cylinder, OHV, Used by John Deere, SHORT BLOCK ONLY

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Is it them or like the one posted above is a JD part. Just wondering if JD requires Kawasaki to supply them with shortblocks for the specs they use? Dunno as we are not a Deere dealer...

5. The Lawn Ranger CT.

The Lawn Ranger CT. LawnSite Member

Not sure, thought it said John Deere, it had the same bolt patterns as my exmark walk-behind turftracer (which it went on) and is running great ....so far~

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just fixed a FH500 that ran just like yours. On my buddy's mower the valve guide moved and the valve stuck open. I pulled the head and carried it to a machine shop and another friend of mine fixed it. Runs good now. So get a second look at it. You may not need to replace the engine, but hows the oil level?

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was offered a brand new Kohler 28 efi for $1282.00 which includes shipping from Small Engine Warehouse last week, meaning you may want to check their price to compare.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well sadly that 17hp kaw for the Wrights is not a cheap unit. Mine ran $1700 including a new clutch a couple belts. If it is a RH unit drop off the deck before you try to get to the engine it will be easier. And the sad part is that the unit leaks oil from everywhere ....I pulled one off during the winter that leaked at top end the bottom end and the valve covers.