help buying a 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by roja, Jan 24, 2001.

1. roja

roja LawnSite Member

if you can help with your opinions, i would be gratefull
    with mileage being perhaps the most important criteria, i'm looking for a pre 87 full size 4x4. i intend to do some traveling south of the border and want to keep it somewhat simple...whats your opinion of the ideal rig/setup
    thanks, roj

2. MTCK

MTCK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I had a 1982 Diesel 4x2 with a 3sp + OD manual transmission in it that got great mileage (like 20-22) on the highway, was always reliable (155,000+ miles on it) and had no problem pulling a load. If you can find diesel down there, I'd say that's the way to go. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. I don't know of they put that transmission on the 4x4's though. It's also not the best for towing, because it's a little weak. Let us know what you go with.

3. roja

roja LawnSite Member

i appreciate your input and hope i can get other help as well...we owned a diesel auto once, probably the only time in history (mid 90's) when diesel was more expensive than gas. between the noise and the smell i'm just not sure i want to go that route...unless my alternative was 10-13 mpg. my dad owned a gmc pickup that was diesel and it didn't last very long, so that's also in my thinking. i would really like to find out what the "ideal rig" is

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Any gas powered pre 87 Chevy 4x4 will have a tough time getting out of the 10-14mpg range. I would actually consider one of the 6.2 diesels. By this time, the previous owner has had to preform any repairs that plauge the 6.2. They are capable of 20+ mpg highway and are relatively cheap. Texas should be full of diesels with all those ranches and all. Your going to be lucky to break 12 in a semi computer controlled carb 305 or 350.

Good Luck

5. mike reeh

mike reeh LawnSite Member

if you're considering putting a truck together, go gasoline, and EFI if you're really concerned about mileage..

diesel in my area is more expensive than gasoline (so.cal) right now, anyway. and those old diesels arent like the duramaxx! unfortunately. they stink and are noisey. while they might run for a long time, if you take care of a 350 or 454 or whatever, it'll treat you just as well. I like the t350 for trannys but if you're going to abuse it, might as well get a t400. 3/4 ton is the only way to go, too.

mike