Help Buying a Commercial Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by G_Burleson, Dec 29, 2012.

1. G_Burleson

G_Burleson LawnSite Member

Hey everybody. I'm at the point where I need to invest in a big mower. Up to today I've been using two small push mowers for all my properties.

Many of my properties have hills, and most are smaller so I'm thinking that I would benefit most from a commercial walk-behind mower, around a 32".

I will need the mower for about three years, to get me through graduate school. At that point I'll start up a small software company, and keep mowing a few properties. I'll most likely sell the big mower and use a small one for the properties I keep. So I need it to go strong for those three years. I'll be busy, and don't want another headache of a broken mower.

I have $2,000 to $3,000 to spend on the mower.

I'll be mowing 40-60 properties on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, and the mowing season is long here in Waco, TX (March-December this year). I need this mower to be my work horse. Dependable, efficient, and with an exceptionally smoothe cut.

I don't know how to maintain these bigger mowers, so dealership support is important. I think Waco has good support for the main brands. SCAG has great dealership support here.

Do you guys have any suggestions on Brands of mower?
    Is there anything else I need to factor in?
    Should I go for a mower that I can get a three year warranty on to ensure that it lasts through the three years that I need it?

Any advice on these brands:
    SCAG
    TORO
    ExMark
    Bob-Cat
    Lesco
    Gravely

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

-Garrett

2. JoDon

JoDon LawnSite Member

I've got a very clean 36" Exmark turf tracer for sale. You can search for it with pics at my user name, JoDon. I'm located in Ft. Worth. PM me if you need more details.

JD

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

3 grand is cheap for a new machine, but if you can find a Toro proline 44" Tbar in your price range (or maybe put a chunk down and make payments) I would buy one of those best belt drive IVe ever owned.

4. garciajj612

garciajj612 LawnSite Member

Exmark turf tracers are what my guys like to use. But we pay 8k for 54"

5. marks500

marks500 LawnSite Member

Exmark turf tracer is a great choice! But you won't get one new in the 2-3k price range!

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

You can find used turf tracers for 2k, and that will probably be your best bet, real nice machines and will last a lifetime