Help buying a SCAG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bilchak, Feb 21, 2001.

1. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

How do the Scag owners like the Advantage deck?

Did you get the mulching kit?

Floating or non-floating deck.........which way
    should we go.

Getting a 48 or 52" WB. And possibly a 36"

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

2. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

don't waste your money on a 36inch mower,i'd get a 48inch exmark (hydro) or bigger ,all depends on how big the lawns you get...

3. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

I've been running a Scag for about four years now and haven't had any major problems yet. I also just picked up a new 48" SW over the Advantage because I did some research on this website that showed that there is no real advantage to the Advantage.

As for the mulching kit, I have just posted a reply to that exact same question which also include a question about the double blade set up.

4. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Going to be doing quite a few residentials. How do I get a 48" into a gated back yard?

Nearest eXmark dealer is 35 miles away. Since
    I'm just getting started I wanted to deal with
    the guy just up the road first in case we
    break down. He only deals in SCAGS, and from
    what I've read they are a pretty good mower.

May go with the eXmark when I have some sort
    of a backup to rely on.

John

5. birddog

birddog LawnSite Member

There has been much discussion on this and it is possible. Do a search with key words being "big mower little gate", this should give you plenty of info..........

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a heads up on Scag prices - Alamia.com has the 48" belt drive with a 17hp Kaw for about $2900. I've never ordered from them (but there are lots of threads here about them). However that price is about $300 cheaper than our local dealer here. I think shipping may be free too and I'm pretty sure that there's no sales tax either. Just a thought that you might want to check in to.