Help Cant get impeller off leaf vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liberty Lawncare, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I cant get the Impeller (fan chopper thing) Off the motor on my 8 hp giant vac,
    If anybody could explain how to seperate the :realmad: Thing I would really appriciate it.
    I have tried pressing it out. An oversized nut was welded to the impeller And I used a large bolt to try and press it off the bolt stripped. :gunsfirin I blew the connecting rod last fall and need to put a new motor on it.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you checked for set screws that may help hold on the Impeller? You could take a torch and heat the Impeller to get it off. You may burn up the engine oil seal doing so but who cares you are going to replace the engine any way. Post some picutes of the Impeller, some one may have an idea that will work. I have taken off a few and there are no fun at all. If all else fails you could "blast"

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for set screws like Fixer recommended.

Position the unit with the crankshaft pointing up and pour in
    penetrating oil or Coke.

Wait several hours.

Get a grade 8 bolt that won't strip and use the hot wrench.

Enough pressure and heat should get the job done.

If this doesn't work, cut the crankshaft and use a press.

Oldtimer

4. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing happen w/ a Giant Vac blower. I finally took it to the dealer after wasting too much time screwing with it. He finally cut the crank off w/ a torch and ruined the impeller in the process. Then I had to replace the impeller as well as the motor. He didn't charge me for cutting the impeller off, but I didn't buy either the motor OR another impeller from him. :angry: GOOD LUCK!

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Some use a bolt in the front of the impeller to push it off

check for set screws first. Little Wonder uses this method.

ed

6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your suggestions guys. There are no set screws- treid a grade 8 bolt and it stripped. I didn't heat it though, maybe a torch and another Grade 8 bold might do it. :angry:

7. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

have you tried a gear puller? these things can be prety tricky but a gear puller is usually the cheapest bet......

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

a large gear puller is definatly the way to go....i had to pull mine off last week to replace my engine....and it took it off like a hot knife through butter...

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had the same issue with snowmobile clutches and I am picturing a similar setup. I've had good luck with filling the hole with grease, then thread in a bolt (did you strip the bolt or the bolt hole?). Then tighten the bolt as tight as you can get it. Then heat the shaft from the end of the bolt, tighten more, heat, tighten, heat, tighten. With the grease, the pressure from the bolt will force the grease to go between the shaft and the chamber forming somewhat of a hydrolic press while lubricating at the same time.

10. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Whatever you do...don,t forget to coat the shaft with Never-Seize when you put it back together. You won't have the same problem, again.