1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help. Chalky White Dust killing grass...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SeatTime, May 13, 2004.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime LawnSite Member

About a week ago I noticed a white chalky substance clinging to the individual blades of grass around a section of my lawn...about 10-12 feet diameter. Yesterday, I noticed the grass is still covered with this "chalk" and large portions of grass have turned yellow and died. This area is a ways back from my "normal" dog walking route so I didn't really notice the progressing damage. I figure there's no reversing it now, but what is it and how do I fix the problem. If I walk on it will I spread it via my shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. threeputts

threeputts LawnSite Member

i think its a fungus. i heard that you could fertilize and it helps kill it. im sure a fungucide will kill it.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

More than likely it is Powdery Mildew.
  4. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Grassmechanic is probabaly correct...its powdery mildew. Use a fungicide to kill and keep your yard mowed a slight bit higher than usual.
  5. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

I have a lawn care service but I am finding lots and lots of mushrooms in my yard, I have heard that having mushroom means you have a fungus in the dirt. Should I call my lawn care service back and have a retreat done?
  6. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Are you overwatering your lawn? Are you watering late at night? Try changing your watering cycles and times.