Help...Changing U joints on my 2000 f25sd 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLC1, Oct 19, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Could somebody run me through how to do so. I have done them on a jeep but I started getting into the truck last night and it seemed a lot different.

2. bmxdude

bmxdude LawnSite Member
    from Texas

3. BLC1

from Ohio

Yeah I found that guy the other night searching for some help.

I had stripped everything down and when pulling drive shaft/axle out there seems to be some kind of seal or sleeve still holding the shaft/axle in.

Sorry to be un clear but not a mechanic.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you doing u-joints or axle joints?

5. BLC1

from Ohio

I'm doing u joints

6. CLARK LAWN

can you post a pic, i dont know what seal there is on the driveshaft other than the output seal at the back of the trans.

7. BLC1

from Ohio

See if this helps you out at all.

u joints.jpg

8. CLARK LAWN

its a 2 piece seal/bearing. you can pull real hard and it should come out or take a punch and drive it out. you will have to replace it, it is a dealer only part and i think it runs around 50-75 bucks. BTY those are called axle joints. you should take a real close look at your wheel bearings while you have them out. if there is any play or noise replace them now.

9. BLC1

from Ohio

What's the difference in axle joints and U joints?

Where are the wheel bearings located?

I was pulling and pulling trying to get that seal/bearing out. It didn't want to budge. If I go at with a punch, would I go from the front just to loosen it up and then pull it out.

Sorry for dumb questions. This stuff is beyond me. I am trying to learn little by little to pick up a little extra.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you didn't see any bearings then you have unit bearings I can't remember what year Ford switched to unit bearings for wheel bearings. I assume there was 4 bolts and the whole hub assembly came off.

Another question did you check you ball joints while you have it apart it is the time to do them.