help! chipped a pvc pipe to water softener

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gatormowing, Jun 26, 2005.

1. gatormowing

gatormowing LawnSite Member

yesterday while trimming next to a well pad on a vacant property, I knicked a pipe coming out of the ground that was connected to the water softener. No water came out and I decided to leave the repair for today. My question is, does anyone know the purpose of that pipe? Does it supply from the well? Thanks for any info.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

To be safe, I'd repair it.

I'd use a flowspan coupling, or two couplers and a union.

FlowSpan:

[​IMG]

Union:

[​IMG]

3. VillageGreen

VillageGreen LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are you sure it's just not an overflow discharge? We've got something like that at our house and it just expells water that isn't needed.

4. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

or it may be the wires from the well

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yup, 1st year blues :)

Well I dunno what it is but you run to Lowe's or Home Depot and in their plumbing section for like 5 to 10 dollars you get the patches or couplers or whatever you need and also get the primer and glue and fix it yourself in like 10-15 minutes BUT:
    It helps to bring a piece of the broken stuff with because you NEED the diameter and the type of pipe (either that or make sure to measure the dia. and remember really good what it looks like).
    You'll need a pipe wrench or some big nasty pliers, also a knife or handsaw (hacksaw, the metal-cutting blades / or wood) and maybe 1-2 other tools.

In the future - NEVER weed-eat near PVC or siding: Weedeater string eats through that stuff like a hot knife through room-temperature butter, I've seen guys spring leaks with the weedeater on idle. I always draw a small rectangle, circle, or square around the pvc with round-up (and now you know why guys in their 2nd+ years use it).

6. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

I agree it is the wiring.