Help choosing a brand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by oldcrappymower, Mar 22, 2013.

1. oldcrappymower

oldcrappymower LawnSite Member

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

The bad boy looks good.

3. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely- looks like a cheap deck and cheap build.
    Exmark- looks like a cheap build.
    Hustler- looks decent for a machine in that price range.
    Badboy- looks the best out of all of them. The deck looks the best. Looks more heavy duty.

Choose either Hustler or Badboy. Forget the other two. Go and look at them at the dealer.

4. die4irish

die4irish LawnSite Member
    from ohio

the exmark looked really cheap when I was at the dealers. not sure how they cut though

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I know people who have used the Gravely ZT commercially with good luck even though its a home owner mower. Badboys customer service has been horrible on many LS threads so I would stay away. Hustler and Exmark should be fine but its best to demo them all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Warranty:

Hustler 3 year
    Gravely 3 year, plus 5 year deck and frame.
    BB 2 year
    Exmark ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. oldcrappymower

Thanks for the thoughts. I know if I have $8,000 to spend I am in a different situation with these brands, but at this price range that I have to work with, I'm not confident that I am getting more from these mowers than I am from a box store. I was looking at the stamped decks as well. That seems an easy spec to compare. Would you still go with one of these over something from a box store? Is there enough difference there to pay the extra cost?

Also, the BadBoy dealer is the furthest from my home (32 miles or so?) and I don't have trailer of my own to move the mower. I'd have to ask a friend for help if such a situation arose. What do I get as far as service goes when I buy from a dealer like these guys rather than from a Home Depot or a Lowes or a Menards etc.?

Thanks.

8. oldcrappymower

Looking at something else, I really like that there is a steel cage around the engine on the bad boy. I'm not sure I see that on the other mowers. Probably wouldn't be a big issue, but I'd hate to back into something and tank the engine on a tree trunk etc. Does that seem frivolous or is that cage worth taking into consideration?

9. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Hustler is the one I would go with .
    What is the price?

10. at the $3000 mark, there's not much difference in any of them.