Help choosing a new zero turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flati, Jun 6, 2008.

1. flati

flati LawnSite Member
    from ohio

New here guys so be easy on me. I'm hoping to get your advise on choosing a new zero turn mower. I will be cutting approx 2 acres max, very few obstacles with some slope to it. I have been told I should consider a zero turn over a lawn tractor and was hoping I could get some input from all of you. I'd like to purchase a model that will last me for years and would like to avoid the box store zero turns if possible. I see there are so many different models out there and really like brands such as Toro, Ferris, Hustler, Bad Boy, etc. but money obviously factors into this and I really don't want to spend $5000 plus on a mower. What would you guys recommend in the $3000 range that is more than just a box store homeowner model. I'm hoping to get the most for my money. I sure appreciate all of your help.
  2. cutsit

cutsit LawnSite Member
    from MO

I would suggest looking for something used. There is nothing in your price range new that you want to run for a long period of time.

About any of the commercial type mowers mentioned on this site would work for you.

I would try craigslist to see if there is something in your area.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

flati - yep $3K will get you a low end residential Z. Thats about it.

Agree with cutsi, try to find a low-hour commercial machine if that is indeed what you are looking for. You didn't say. If you are a homeowner looking for a decent Z add another 1K to 1500 or so and you could get a nice homeowner Z.
  4. flati

flati LawnSite Member
    from ohio

A buddy of mine has a Bobcat zero turn with about 650 hours on it, he wants $3000, would this be a good buy and considered low hours?
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on which model and how big it is? Can you find out and let us know and we can help you determine if its a good buy or not. Bobcat makes very good mowers.
  6. Limbourg

Limbourg LawnSite Member

I don't think you will find a decent commercial zero turn mower in that price range. You might want to look for a decent walk behind machine but I wouldn't recommend used: the money you save for buying used will go up in repairs and maintenance costs. I just got rid of 4 old Dixie Choppers and bought two new Hustlers. I used to spend $250 to $350 a month on repairs and maintenance> The new machines are serviced once a month by the dealer for free and the y run like... well... new!
  7. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

you absolutely can find a mower in that price range. I paid 3,700 in 2005 for 2006 ferris 1500 with 240 hours on it. Bought through dealer and even got the ferris 0% loan on it. I now have about 600 hours on it, trouble free. Look for trades and demos.
  8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

oops, correction, bought 2005 ferris in 2006
  9. flati

flati LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Would the Toro Z5000 Model 74370 be a good choice, it retails for $3000?
  10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

No! You need to buy a commercial unit. If you mow with a home owner unit it wony las and you threw your money away. Those home owner units have stanped sheetmetal tractor decks. Weak spindles, low grade pumps, the list goes on.