Help choosing a w/b mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by *LB, Dec 5, 2007.

1. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone,

First post here. I'm a homeowner with a 3/4 acre lot. My 21" Honda mower is crapping out after years of good service and I thought I'd upgrade to a bigger walk-behind mower. I'm looking at a couple local used mowers and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best way to go.

1 - Exmark 48" double belt drive wb. Kaw. 14hp. 1999. One owner (homeowner) with less than 200 hours - dealer serviced. Includes mulching kit, bagger and sulky. Asking $1,000.

2 - Billygoat 33" wb. 2005. Approx. 50 hours. Includes bagger. Asking $500.

I'm leaning toward the Exmark because it looks like it's a pretty good value. Most of the comments here are favorable for the Exmark and not as much so for the Billygoat. I would appreciate a pro's perspective. Thanks for you help. -LB
  2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would personally go for the Exmark. Those extra inches are going to make a lot of difference time wise. Plus, all the Exmark's I have ever used have cut very well. I can't say I was really impressed the one time I used a Billygoat. Also, you can't go wrong with a Kawasaki engine.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I've only known 1 person who'd owned a Billygoat mower, and they didn't like it.
  4. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. After some consideration I ended up going with the Billygoat because I thought the 48" Exmark would be too big for my lawn. I have a lot of gardens, hills, beds and tight places and I figured the 48" deck would be too much to handle in tight quarters.

Well, I just finished cutting the lawn with the Billygoat and I'm really disappointed at how it handles. A real bear to move it around. I got it from a good guy, so I'm hoping he'll take the mower back. It would be OK on a flat lawn with no obstacles. The cut was good and it had good power and speed. The bagger also worked very well. The reviews for the BG were pretty accurate that I read on this site. I thought maybe I could live with it because I was only doing one lawn - but it was just too hard on me and the lawn.

From what I've read in other threads it looks like a Quick 36 would be the way to go. Anybody got a used one with low hours they'd like to part with?? :waving: Thanks, LB
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This here is a classic example of the cheaper of the two sold, and also a classic example of the more expensive machine would've been better. But, that's not always the case.

Now I do know Exmark is a lawn mower manufacturer, to the best of my knowledge that is all they do, pretty much.
    But Billygoat makes blowers, a Wb from them would be a sideline.

Always buy stuff made by manufacturer(s) who specialize in your product.

Good luck taking that machine back, if it were me I wouldn't accept it.
    Not because I don't trust you, maybe that, but more so because I'm not going through this headache more than once.
    Like selling a used car, it's a lot of work to get rid of a unit like this, would you want to do it twice?
    So likely your best bet is to sell it on your own, same price.

Then get a 44" Toro floating deck OR maybe a Q36 new.
    But don't buy based on price alone, you'll burn yourself, you have to go by more than that, same with a machine just because it's the most expensive doesn't mean anything. You're as well off, as a homeowner, get a rider.

My only other recommendation is take more time to weigh your decision.
  6. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

I just wanted to follow-up with this thread in case anyone can benefit from it in the future. I ended up returning the Billygoat. The guy who sold it to me was a stand-up guy and he knew why I wanted him to take it back (the same reason he was trying to sell it to me, but he did try to warn me). I ended up getting a new Quick 36 and it arrived yesterday. Before deciding on the Q36 I read all of the reviews on several of the landscaping web sites and I was pretty confident it would be the right machine for my needs.

First off, the customer service was excellent. I placed the order over the phone and I received an e-mail confirmation an hour later that it was shipping later that day. It showed up 2 business days later (NC to RI). That kind of turn around is pretty amazing. Needless to say, I'm not too concerned about ordering parts from them in the future.

The machine was expertly packaged. I happen to know a little about industrial packaging and they did a very thoughtful job. The machine itself is very well made, heavy duty, high quality construction, excellent fit and finish. We have snow on the ground here so I couldn't cut any grass with it, but I couldn't resist starting it up and monkeying around with it for an hour or so. It handles superbly. The hydro power and instant reverse were effortless. This is an excellent mower for tight spaces where you need to back in and out of quickly and vary your forward speed to accommodate obstacles and turns. Speaking of turns, doing 180 degree turns were effortless - no spinning tires or divots - very gentle, precise handling. Noise and vibration seemed reasonable. It's a fairly light machine and it can be tipped and muscled around pretty easily when it's not running. I couldn't believe how little room it took up in my garage.

I got the Accelerator grass catcher with it. The welds and finish are sort of primitive, but it's lightweight for its size, and probably a decent value compared to other bagging systems. I like the way it fits on the mower - very solid connection and easy to take on and off. The Billygoat bagger system was a piece of junk by comparison.

I won't get a chance to try out the cut for a few months, but I expect it will be good if everything else is any indication. I know there are other excellent 36' hydro wb mowers on the market, but I don't think you'll find a better VALUE than the Q36. I wouldn't normally be so enthusiastic about something I haven't fully tried out, but my experience with this company has been so positive up to this point I am compelled to share it here in this forum. It's become a real novelty to find a company that is actually focused on pleasing their customers, and they're an American company :usflag:. Anyone looking for a well-built, wb hydro at a decent price should take a close look at this mower.
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you buy the Samurai, Super Duty, or the Super Fox? :usflag:

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

CONGRATS !!! post some pics
  9. *LB

*LB LawnSite Member

Super Fox.

Here's a pic. No lawn shots for a few months :cry:

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,169 get a step saver with that ? Your going to love that machine...I have a 36 and a 44 and they will not let you down.