Help choosing a Z Turn mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Distance2006, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Distance2006

Distance2006 LawnSite Member

You guys have a great Forum here. :clapping: I've learned alot already, but can't seem to find an answer to my exact question.

I've recently moved to a property where it takes me 5 hours to mow the lawn on a riding mower. I've been doing a lot of local research on Zero turns, and have the following to choose from locally:

Hustler Super Mini Z w/ 52" deck, 23 HP Kawasaki
    ExMark Lazer Z hp 50" deck, 23 HP Kawasaki
    Scag Tiger Cub w/ 52" deck, 23 HP Kawasaki
    Ferris IS1500Z 52" deck, 25 HP Kawasaki

Basically, I need some advice on which one will hold up the longest and do the best job. Obviously the use will be low compared to commercial standards, but I want it to be around in 20 years.

Any advise or help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

2. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

depending upon where you are at in va...?...lol...you located around central virginia?

3. Bruce249

Bruce249 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have the Ferris 1500 and the reason I bought it, was the four wheel independent suspension. You can not believe how well it works.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

All of those choices are excellent ones.
    But... the Super Mini is in a different class, a class of its own.... there are no other mowers in the "mini" class that have the speed, larger pumps and features a Super Mini has.
    What type of pricing are you getting on these?
    Whats your budget?

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Homeowner, bought Scag Wildcat, 52" 26Kawasaki lc.
    Local choices wer Scag, Toro, and low end Cub Cadet.Had a CC lawn tractor, Their high grade hydrostat about 15 years ago and it was expensive junk. Scag and Toro dealers both have good reputation, so went with Scag because it seemed to me as though I got a better built mower for a little more than a Toro Z 7400pro performance series.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

All of your choices are great machines! Demo each of them out and see which machine you like the best.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Out of all these brands, what dealer do you like the best? What pricing is the best? What dealer has the best parts inventory and service support? This question will boil down to Ford vs Chevy vs dodge.

Good luck on your descission and post some pics when you get the machine.

8. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

one of them...becuase im sure you are around central virginia, and the dealer who sells scag/exmark is not very good....

9. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

SCAG is really well built with long term durablity built in . . . .

10. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

You mean Virginia has only "ONE" SCAG dealer & only "ONE" eXMARK dealer . .

And he is not any good? Seems like SCAG and eXMARK would replace him or add more dealers to the area . . .

BTW, where does the original poster live?