Help Choosing Bed Bdger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harvestman, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I going to buy A brown bed edger and I'm having trouble choosing which model.
    # 1- 8 hp Honda 3 or 4'' Rotor cuts to 7''
    # 2- 9 hp Honda Choice of rotors cuts to 9'' costs $200. more.
    Question is it worth the upgrade. Don't do a lot of irrigation but it would be nice to have the option.What model do you guys have, pros & con of each would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Harvestman
  2. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

How about A little help guys.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry can't help I bought an edge-r-right by Turfco. Much lighter weight.
  4. The Rental Superstore in Wilmington has both models. The manager said the larger model was almost too big for simple bed edging. He wished he'd only bought the 8 hp. But the larger one would have the advantage if you got into the other capabilities of the machine. But he doesn't have any of the extra cutters that are available for these machines.
    I hope this helps a little.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i have used both, i think they both perform well, they say the 9hp is for heavier clay and better depth, i've had no problem using the 8hp for any job i've come across.

even in heavier soil, i just slow down.

i've used almost every rotor...stump grinder, trencher, etc....all with great results.

"i'm not just a BedEdger dealer (removing ballcap)....i'm a client too" lol

anyway, they make the best product i've come across for creating and cleaning edges and trenching.

i sell Turfco edgers too, but they are no comparison to the Brown!

i'd save the $200 and go with the 8hp. IMHO

6. LES

LES LawnSite Member

I would go with the smaller of the two. I have used both and the smaller will do anything most people need it to do. I realize it's only $200 but if I'm not mistaken, I think the rotors are more expensive for the larger machine.
  7. captdevo

actually, most rotors offered fit both machines.

the F-990H has 8 additional rotors available.

the rotors range from$50 - $150

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have the Brown F-780H and it does fine, just used it today and we have rock hard clay. Just make sure whatever you do get the one that allows steering, makes great beds with much less work.

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

You sell Turf-co? Thought they were direct market outfit.
  10. captdevo

they do offer direct market sales also, as do many other companies, but they to realize the importance of dealer service after the sale and on hand demonstrations.

for the most part they make some good equipment, but their Edge-R-rite just didn't impress me.

it is well built, i guess i'm spoiled with the Brown mfg. equipment.