Help Choosing Mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by csm_274, Jul 13, 2009.

1. csm_274

csm_274 LawnSite Member

I am using a 21" mower (self-powered) to cut my slighly less than 0.3-0.4 acre lot and it takes almost 1.5 hours to cut. If I bag, it takes about 2 hours. Because of the shape of the lot, shape of the flower beds, etc., a riding mower is a bit too much.

I need a mid-sized walk behind mower (e.g. 32", 36", etc.). This is strictly for personal use, so I only need it once every 1-2 weeks. In other words, a brand new top of the line Exmark is over the top. I'm willing to spend up to 1K give or take a couple hundred. I would prefer to bag, but there are times when the grass is to high. That makes the 21" Hondas a little more appealing in that the versamow option, which allows you tocollect all grass, 25%, 50%, 75% or none (then again, that's a smaller deck which makes things a bit more time consuming).

What are some good options? Should I go with one of the Toros? What about a used high-end (i.e. Exmark, etc.)? Would a super-duper 21" walk behind (powered) make a huge difference? [Part of the problem with my current mower - entry level Troy-bilt - is that it's under-powered so I have to walk more slowly, and cut narrower strips when the grass gets high.]

Just looking for input (from all perspectives) to make my decision.
  2. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I would look on craiglist for a used commercial walk behind. There are deals out there, you just to have check everyday. Exmark is a great brand and has a great cut. Also, check the surrounding cities on craigslist.

Good Luck
  3. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

I second the CL idea. I've found many good deals locally.
    I would also add that cutting more frequently might help. The rule of thumb is to cut at most 1/3 of the blade. I have Bermuda so cut every 2-3 days.