Help Cleaning Up Isabel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green in Idaho, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

If you are close to the areas affected by Isabel and were not affected please consider going to help out some of those affected for this weekend and first of next week.

Got work to do, express to your customers you will be be back soon and they will understand, I'm sure.

Landscapers and lawn care operators are in a perfect situation to help out those affected. Chainsaws, tree expertise, truck, dump-trucks, ATVs, hand tools, knowledge, loaders, that what it is about right?

Those affected are not going to be able to get online and tell us how bad it is, but the pictures are obvious.

Got an RV, travel trailer, enclosed trailer?

Does sleeping in a truck while helping someone out sound exciting and rewarding??? R. if you are reading this, you got it good and it could be you....

I bet someone can use your help.

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea.

I live in Dare Co., NC & our area got hammered. Trees down everywhere. We sawed and chipped for free today to help people out. I don't think now is the time to be thinking about profits.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I will come down and climb for the right amount of $. Have the saws, gear, etc.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. For the right price I'll be there. Helping out is great and all, but if I have the opportunity to get some of my money back from the insurance companies.............oh, yea. It would be great to have that shoe on the other foot.

5. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

What do you do? Just drive over there and start working?

How do you know where to go and who to talk with. I would like to help, but never done major storm clean-up. Just wondering where to start.

6. Gr grass n Hi tides

You guys are right about the insurance coverage. Didn't think of it that way and I'm a frickin' litigation paralegal for 10 years!!! I guess just because it's right in the aftermath. Tell you what though, if the carriers will pay for cleanups I'd be willing to tell everyone I did work for that I'll submit the claims and wait for payment directly from the carrier. I'm toying with the thought. Gotta make some calls.

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Indiana, I see VA Bch was hit hard eh?

There's the base Navy Relief Office (they help servicemembers in need) I'm sure they are gettin requests for assistance of the families with a serviceman overseas.

Remember all those posts on here saying they would mow for free while the servicemember was deployed. They are STILL deployed. ??? There are many military bases in the affected area.

Or contact one of the churches in the area, or the Red Cross... "I'm here if you can use me".

If someone can be self-supportive (own living space and food suppplies) or if one can stay with people not dislocated, just "showing up" is good. I'll bet it will be easy to find someone needing the help.

And there will be those who do not have insurance esp renters. and those without flood insurance.

I was involved cleaning up after Hugo. And it was incredible.... stuff strewn everywhere. Walking down the street and seeing Rice-a-Roni, underwear, and magazines just laying about. Regular household stuff everywhere.... :dizzy:

If no one needs your help, you have an experience if nothing else. :(

9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Do it for money my AR$!!

When Andrew hit in FL took all my guys for four days. Slept in my tent. Washed in water I brought. And worked from daylight till about 10 p.m. Someone I carried a pistol with me at all times and we all took turn standing watch on our equipment while the others slept. They called it looting. I called it worthless trash trying to make a buck stealing people's stuff. I know alot of guys who raked in the money doing what we were doing but I just cannot do something like that. You have too help out it is what a good person does. So go and don't charge just get your payments in thank you's, smiles and the fact you have brought some form of joy to others who have none.

Just mho!

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Green in Idaho,
    Good for you,I hope those that can will take the initiative to do what you have suggested.
    Just finished up doing some storm damage work here.
    Folks it isn't ALWAYS about making a buck,sometimes it is just about being human.Think about it.