HELP!! Client needs tire changed, can't find lug nut key???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MSS Mow, Dec 31, 2006.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

CLient has 2005 Dodge Durango and had a blowout last night (during a snow storm) and now can't get the tire changed because the tire has a locking lugnut and we can't find the "key" to take the tire off.

HELP! Where is the "key" usually kept??

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Napa......

3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Try looking around where the jack and lug wrench are positioned..........behind the seats or where ever they were mounted. A dealership will be able to give/sell you a key as well if you give them the VIN#.Sometimes Goodyear shops will have them.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Every car I've bought that had one of those, it was kept in the glove box.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

That is a nice thing you are doing but I personally not touch a clients vehicle! What if something goes wrong, vehicle falls off jack and tears up something and then they blame you. I will stick to what I do, lawncare and nothing else. Sometimes being nice will bite you on the backside this day and time. Just my 02.

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

In the glove box..or the owners man. folder

7. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed LawnSite Member

If worst comes to worst, most tire shops have a "universal key" that you hammer on and use an impact to take the lock off. It usually ends up ruining the lock, but at least you can change the tire. If you go that route, take all of the locks off now.......

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read that correctly on your other post. Oreilly's sells a lock breaker that breaks the locking lug nuts.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I really appreciate everyone's response.

The key is not in the glove box/with owners manual, with the jack, under the seat where the jack was, not attached to the jack, not with the spare tire. We just can't find it. I was hoping someone would know of a "secret" compartment where it was kept. Yeah I know, wishful thinking. Believe me, 5 of us have looked everywhere you all have suggested, and plenty of other spots.

QualityLawnCare4u: Normally I wouldn't get involved, but these are clients who just purchased their home here (seasonal) and are only here for the holidays. I only knew about the tire 'cause I stopped to visit them while they were in town. They didn't call and ask me to help. I offered to see what I could find out for them. They are from Pennsylvania and were planning on returning in the morning.

As for a dealer selling them, obviously no dealer is open today (or tomorrow) and there are no Goodyear (or similar) shops around here. Their towtruck driver wouldn't remove it for them. Said they had to have the "key".

We've tried vice grips, pipe wrenches, etc, nothing works. Next try will be forcing an impact socket onto it.

Again, thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I'll update when we get it removed.

10. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

walmart has them.