Help College...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Ok, I am going to college and I want to Build up my company... But I get off in May, May 14 to be exact and got back in aug. I have no idea what I am going to do for them 4 months I am unaccounted for. I live 3 hours away from my college I thought about coming home every weekend but i want 60-80 lawns and I know i cna't cut that many in 2 days. I don't know if I trust to higher help with my equipment wont they abuse it? Never had am employee and what would I pay someone to run my business. It seems like it can only end in ruins, Becuase i want the customers to return my reputaion is everything. Help me out I been thinking about this for a while.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sub it out to a larger local lawn company until you get off for summer. Actually I would concentrate on college and forget the lawn business.
  3. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

How do you go about subing the lawns out to other Lawn Services?

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I would go to college first, get my education. Then get a decent job and pay cash for equipment start up part time and go from there. But that's me!
  5. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

transfer to a local college
  6. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

why not go to college, concentrate on that and then worry about building afterward? Going to college full time a few hours away and trying to maintain a business that maintains many, many lawns will be very difficult and the last thing you want is to be so distracted that it hurts your college.
  7. AJZ

AJZ LawnSite Member
    from Tx.

It is crazy to see how peoples opinions differ. I am a newbie here and will be graduating college this Aug. with a bachlor's degree in Business. All my life I have been told to go to college and get a "good job." The avg. college grad. makes 35k a year and I know many that have twice that in student loans. Today, to really stand out, you need a masters degree.

dewos- Although this may go against the grain, I would continue to concentrate on your business. 60-80 yards should net you a good income. Come up with a good strategy and use schedule flexibility to finish your college courses. It may take you longer but you will come out ahead in the long run.

When I was younger I use to snicker at my buddies that decided to start lawn companies instead of going to college. Now I see them living in nice houses, driving new vehicles, and supporting their families. They may not make 100k a year but they are doing well for being 22-25 yrs. old; alot better than I am. Hell I know a few guys that are in their early 30s that make 150-300k a year in this industry.

I know a few millionaires and none of them made their money because of their college degrees. Hell a good friend of mine makes atleast 200k yearly and does not have a hs diploma. He manages money poorly but makes plenty of it.

In the long run, a college degree will make you a more complete, business minded person but hard work, determination, and knowledge will make you money.
  8. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Your advice has stood out the most to me and I think thats what I am going to do. I know there has to be a way some way that I can make this work and I will. If i sub my lawns or higher help I gotta figure out which one to do. Everything business starts out rough right? I mean money don't come easy and you have to work for it so we will see me work.
  9. Youngbeginner

Youngbeginner LawnSite Member

I am a Landscape Architecture student at Purdue University, Indiana which is 3 hours from my home. I do landscape installations and some maintenance in the summer, and unlike mowing, it allows me flexibility in the summer to start and end when I want. I worked 5 weeks last summer and grossed 13K. After paying help, buying equiptment, and other expenses, I netted 4-5 thousand. I am focusing on my schooling right now, and not worring about building my business (more accounts, contracts, euiptment, trucks, etc.) until I graduate. An education is important becuase if I cut my leg off in 6 years while working, or in a car wreck, etc., I can still fall back on my drawing degree, which doesn't require physical labor like landscaping does. I make enough (along with a few small schalorships) to pay for school so that I am not in debt when I get out. I will be free of debt, with a degree, and ready to start my career with a solid foundation.
  10. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I am not quitting school but i am just going to work around it. I am going for business Marketing and mangment. I don't plan on stopping at lawn service as my business I am going to save an save and start buys gas stations and running then as well as my lawn care business. I plan on having full service car washes, gas stations and lawn Services and plan on running them with the lawn service funding the start of them. Work hard, sweat now, bleed today and success comes tomarrow! I have my plan set it was just the college is setting me back but i need it. I am do as much as I can with the time I have. If my grades drop some from work then It happens but I am not going to Fret over .5 drop in GPA I have a 3.2 right now and we will see where it goes.