HELP!! Completely stumped on this one!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tfdrooke24, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tfdrooke24

tfdrooke24 LawnSite Member

So I was mowing yesterday when all of the sudden I lost about half power!! I mess with the throttle cable, no issues. I tried the simple things first, changed the plugs, checked for spark on both plugs (got it), replaced the fuel filter, clean the air filter. So as goofy as this sounds, I thought I'd just drive it around for a bit to see if anything comes back. So as I'm cruising around, I notice when the mower is tilted to the LEFT side on an incline.....full power comes back!!! When back to flat ground or tilted to the right....half power. So this morning I tear into it just a bit more. Take the carb off and clean throughoughly with berrymans. I take the fuel pump off and also clean/blow it out. I ran fuel from both left and right tanks, no change. Not sure when to go from here, none of the local shops had heard of anything like it. Help please!!!!

Btw, its a Hustler Super Z with a Kawasaki FH721 25hp V

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

First thought.......bad intake gasket....

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Pull the valve cover off and check the rod in there.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Check the coil wires and boots for damage...sounds like the spark is getting cancelled out...
    Not sure if Hustler mowers have a rollover switch....it might be bad.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thought with it running on an incline is "ain't got no gas in it" -from the movie Sling Blade. Because it run to the side of the tank with the pick up on it.

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The problem is an intermittent cylinder......if fuel was the issue...it would stall on an incline....in this case it decides to start running good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE