1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help crabgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ewhite17, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

I live in middle Tennessee, and I have a patch of crabgrass that reappears every year in my yard that is about 20x20growing in my Kentucky fescue. What will be the most effective way to get rid of this pest without just burning the area? I have seen a product called Gorden's crabgrass killer, is it any good? If not what chemical would be best. It has not become green yet, and our soil temperature now shouldn't be above 50 degrees but its climbing everyday. PLEASE HELP!!!
  2. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

this is just my opinion im betting its not crab grass. do you mind posting pictures. if you use pre year after year and it keeps popping up i have my doubts. sounds like dallis grass but if you post pics there are some experts on this forum that will help you.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Geogia is right. Probably not crabgrass. Crabgrass is killed by frost. It reseeds itself of course. It does not normally appear until the first frost-free date in your town.
  4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I've resorted to this on Dallis: start over. Gly, dig it up, fill in hole, sod.

I'm done with multiple apps with multiple expensive chemicals that do not work in the long run.
  5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'd almost bet that it is Bermuda Grass; however post a photo. Bermuda looks a lot like crab. If it were crabgrass, then "Drive" would get it.
  6. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

^ not sure how much Bermuda or crabgrass you deal with but I have to say they look nothing alike.... that's aall all we deal with here and if you have crabgrass it sticks out in the Bermuda like a sore thumb... only thing that looks similar is they are both green :) I'm putting my money on dallis..if your putting pre down at correct time at correct rate the crab will never show up.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. georgialawn88

8. Joshuakwhit

Joshuakwhit LawnSite Member

It's not dallisgrass. Here in TN dallisgrass started coming out of dormancy at least a week ago.
  9. georgialawn88

we wont know until he post pics
  10. ewhite17

ewhite17 LawnSite Member

Here is a picture, but you cant tell much about it because it is still dormant right now.

photo 1-1.JPG

photo 2-1.JPG