1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help- creeping bent

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matth, Oct 31, 2003.

1. matth

matth LawnSite Member

help.... creeping bent is taking over my rye grass lawn. it looks ugly because it is too light colored. How would i go about getting rid of it? Thank you for any help

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Roundup, then till/thatch and reseed.
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

There will be a "Selective Herbicide" that will target the Bent grass without harming the Rye.

There are 100s of them on the market .

I don't deal with the grass's that you mentioned (In Australia) but I KNOW that there will be a Selective Herbicide that will take care of this.

Don't do what KenH said.........................There are better ways to deal with these issues.

Round up n over sow........Phhhh............you gotta be kidding.
  4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

we too are having a big problem with bentgrass overspreading on a large number of properties we maintain including our own. It does loook terrible to the passing eye. I had read somewhere also that one of the chem companies were experimenting with a product select herb that would target bentgrass but have found nothing to date. As soon as someone locates it, let me know!

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are working with bentgrass invading bluegrass, I have found that the bent can be significantly slowed by a vertical tine type powerraking in early spring. The raking tears up a good amount of the bent stolons that have started to spread last fall. This gives the blues a chance to recover, because blue starts active growth in springtime well before bent (in my area).

Ten years ago I killed off solid patches of bent in one lawn, and sodded those spots. For the following 7 years I managed the property, the spring raking prevented the bent from forming patches again, even though it existed throughout the lawn.

And sorry, Pinnacle, there is no selective for bentgrass control at this time. What a shame you haven't had the fun of worrying about bentgrass. Would you like me to send you some? :D
  6. Creeping Bent is the most wicked grass you can come across.There is no chemical to kill it out without killing the rye.Do What Jim said is the best way I know of to control it and always keep a eye out for it.I have a creeping bent front lawn and it is the most rewarding and trying lawn you can have
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think an apology is in order....:p

You give me a name of a 'selective' Bentgrass killer, I will apologize to you. In the meantime, do not speak of which you do not know.:)
  8. Relly

Relly LawnSite Member

I am not aware of a selective bentgrass herbicide either (which does not mean there is not one out there). There are some that are selective for use in a bentgrass turf...but that is not what we are looking for is it?

With my 12 years experience with seeding lawns, I agree with KenH. I usually schedule 2 Glyphosate treatments (Roundup or prosecutor). I want to make sure I kill the area. If it is a localized area, spray the area of bentgrass and out from it a fair distance (another 3-6 feet). Pay particular attention to areas where it butts up against pavement. Sometimes it seems to creep back in due to roots that were creeping under the pavement.

Any ways, kill it, then kill it again. Now start from scratch...prep soil, power seed, keep a look out for it in the future. Jump on it immediately from there on out so as to keep from having to redo entire lawn over.
  9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Ok......Ok...............Sorry KenH.

I still find it hard to belive (not saying your wrong)

I have never come across a lawn that I can't chemicaly rid unwanted weed/grass from.

Until know I guese.

Groundkprs: By the sounds of things I definatly don't want to you to send me some.................Thanks anyway:D

Next time I hear somone asking a question about a turf type I aint familiyer with I'll leave it be. Its just, as I said I have NEVER come accross a lawn I can't chemically rid unwanteds from.
  10. matth

matth LawnSite Member

thanks so far for the help