1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Cub leaving streaks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wapepper, Jul 13, 2004.

1. wapepper

wapepper LawnSite Member

I have a cub cadet 54" tank that I bought at the end of last summer. It ran great. When I took it out this summer, I noticed that it was leaving streaks approximately 1" wide. I cut other yards and it did the same thing. The place where I bought it, checked the tire pressure, put on new blades, checked the blade speed, and checked the level of the deck.

When I took it back home, it still left streaks. They tried everything they could think of so Cub Cadet told them to try a new deck. They put it on and I just brought it home and it still STREAKS!!!

Any suggestions??? Would anything else, other than the deck, cause this streaking??

2. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Can't help with this one...but I do know if you don't wipe good you can get streaks.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

can you post a pic of it, is it uncut grass, like in between the blades, or one side lower then the other? Could be if your cutting really tall grass, maybe the front tires are pushing the grass down, and the blades can't suck em up enough.
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

My ?s the same as wriken, Is it leaving a streak of uncut grass and if so where abouts on the deck is it leaving it.On the left or right or in between the blades. I had a problem like this last week. Give us some more info.
  5. wapepper

wapepper LawnSite Member

It is leaving a streak on the left side of the mower towards the end of the deck. Same as before with the old one before they replaced it.

The grass looks like it was never touched at all. I'm cutting the grass at the same height and the same speed as I did last year with no problem.

I will get a pic on here later. Thanks for the responses.
  6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Are you using a mulch plate? if so take it off and see if it helps.
    What type of grass ?
    are blades ballanced?
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I say its the front tires is pushing it down. Stick some high lifts on there and see if that helps
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We had a man in the just other day complaining about his Toro saying it was leaving a "Mohawk" in his lawn. The blades had warn down to the point there was no overlap in the middle. Just a thought.
  9. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

be sure to check that the correct blades are on it...
  10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That reminds me, we got a few MTDs in from a big box store that had 38" blades on a 42" deck. That made a funny cut to say the least. I had forgeten all about that