HELP Customer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I know you guys are going to ream me because I do not have contracts, However I am new in the business and I have 29 accounts weekly, NOW here is my question, I sometimes will have a customer call me and say HEY go ahead and skip me this thursday because I do not have any money or they will just say hey go ahead and skip me and not give a reason, well as you all might know FIRST of all I dont have enough accounts to be picky and say well you know what find someone else, and at the same tim as you might know, I rely on those checks to survive, so what would you do in taht situation, I mean think about it ---what if 5 of my customers did that in one week, I would be hurting, so what should I do or say to them, I feel like if I let it go then they will make a habit out of it, also can anyone be so kind as to e-mail me an example of an agreement or a yearly contract PLEASE PLEASE it would be such a help to this newcomer, and just so you know I am insured and have the right equipment and the right attitude so you would not be giving an example to a total scrub, I also do NOT lowball, My minimum is $35 per cut, any help will be much appreciated, Thank you in adavance

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

the best thing to do is not answer your phone... go to their house and start cutting before they realize youre there... works for me... never get a skip me this week from anyone... i also don't use contracts either..... i think what works for some, may not work for others...

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I use some generic form I bought from Staples. For mowing customers, I fill in "Mowing, trimming and edging (EOW). Bagging can be provided IF NECESSARY. Service will be performed on a weekly basis."

In the fine print I have printed the payment terms and late fee details.

For mowing contracts it doesn't have to get too complicated. Any office store should have forms like these. They are 3-part, so the customer keeps a copy, and you get the other two.

4. Firstclasslawn

Thats cool hoolie but I like making all of my own stuff with my letterhead in excel so I am looking for an existing agreement or year round contract taht I can change up to suit my needs, thanks though for your input

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Firstclass... sorry to get off topic but who did your website?

I only skimmed though it and didn't see any mention of who owns Firstclass.....

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Ok had to re-read your first post. There are generic contracts at office supply stores but it would be better to get some legal help in preparing yours. Also get input from your insurers attorneys if you can, they don't like litigation and if they can help avoid it they might be able to give you some tips of what to include. I thought you were saying in the begining that you didn't like using contracts.

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Explain to them that you will determine when and if the grass needs mowed, if they don't like it drop them. If you let everyone get away with it you will be missing out on a lot of income. There are plenty of people out there that won't cancel, grow your business on your terms. Do people get a break when they forget to take out the trash?, we gotta eat too.

8. Firstclasslawn

Lawnscapes, I did my website, i just threw it together, I need to go back and add some stuff such as who own the business and so on, Thank you for your input though

9. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If he follows your advise he will be outta business by next fall or sooner.

Just in case you do decide to follow the advise firstclass I'll buy your equipment from ya.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

FC, I feel your pain. PM me and I'll tell you what I'm working on.. It may slow down the hassles you and I are experiencing in this area.