1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP...Customer wants lawn aerated

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MOWEMJEFF, Apr 27, 2007.

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

One of my better clients lives on a newer lot that had sod put down almost 3 years ago. This is my first spring with her and she wants her lawn aerated. I have a dethatcher should I just do it and charge her or should I find a way to aerate it for her since it is sod, she spent some good money on it and I don't want to mess it up plus I have 4 customers on that same street, 1 unhappy one and they might all be unhappy?!?! What should I do?
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

nothing wrong with aerating lawns....I do mine every year, sometimes twice per year....Sod is well enough established after three years, you wont rip it up...
  3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

rent an aerator and aerate it. No big deal.
  4. MarcSmith

Aerations is usually done int he fall in conjunction with fert and seeding and possible lime. But no harm in doing it in the spring.

Aeration is a good upsell and is fairly easy money.
  5. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Rent one, add the rental charge into the quote, it would be a great time to make some extra money...ask her if they'd like it seeded while your at it.

Ya I think I can borrow one from my old company at no cost since they still like me. Nice to know your a red sox fan Allen lets hope we take the series this weekend too!!!
  7. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Do it. I charge 3x the price of grass cutting for aeration.

I left a message saying I could do it for $50 and the cost of rental. Her yard is only about .1 acres and takes me 15 minutes to push mow and only get 25$ Did I lowball it too much? I don't think it will take me more then 45 minutes to do and I'll be doing other work on top of the $50 while I'm there.
  9. MarcSmith

It should not take you any longer to aerate it, than it takes to push mow. Unless you do a double pass aeration....,But you still need to charge more for the labor to pick up the rental machine...

I think you are in the ball park...

I'm definitly going to round to the nearsest whole number at least for the rental and the store is only 2 miles from my house so it's not really out of my way. I appreciate the help though guys, thank you.