Help***Cutting on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lightning01svt, May 5, 2003.

1. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

I am on the gulf cost. Down here, hills and step inclines are not a norm. I have a new client that had allot of land fill put in to create a foundation for a new home. The incline on the back of the house is at about a 65/70% up about 4.5 feet. I am having a hard time figuring out how to cut this section of the yard w/out tearing it up. Can someone please give me some tech. on how I should be cutting this. I have been using the eater and a self propelled Honda push mower.

Thanks for your help....

2. lightning01svt

has no one had experience in cutting on hills?

3. Cut accross the hill, but I doubt it's a 70% incline, you couldn't stand on it.

4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

use an eater and a self propelled Honda push mower

5. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i have an idea use some round up on it full strength

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would imagine that he wants to keep the account.:rolleyes:

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I do about 3 propertys along a lake, we either trim or on 1 lawn we can use a self propelled 21" mower.

8. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Hills huh.

I use a 36" walk behind for all of my hills at least up for the first two passes then use a Z from there up followed by a trimmer down near the bottom(water). Sometimes use a FLYMO (hover mower)I don't know your equipment but I'm with LGF, try to mow this accross the hill. If it is bumpy try using construction sand or topsoil to even it out. If its only 4.5 feet using a trimmer would do a quick job.

9. airborne1

airborne1 LawnSite Member

I MIGHT TRY TO SELL THEM A RETAINING WALL WITH SOME NICE BUSHES, NO MORE HILL.:D

10. lightning01svt

"Cut across the hill, but I doubt it's a 70% incline, you couldn't stand on it."

No kidding guys/ladies! It really is about 65% - 70%. You can not stand on it. It is almost like straight up! I have been trying to use a 21" self Honda, and because it is new turf, it is trying to tear up the ground when you have the mower on an angle going up the hill. It is really a tricky problem. I have tried all the obvious answers I could try. I was just hoping someone else may has/have this problem and found a solution.

Thanks for all the help on this.