Help cutting retention pond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajunboy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

I have a retention pond at a supermarket that I have to cut 3-4 times a year. The sides are pretty steep and and ground is very bumpy. At the bottom it has about 3feet of water always. Last time we did the whole thing with string trimmers. This thing is about the size of a football field. It has a wrought iron fence around it with a gate. I can get scags in but afraid of losing them. Equipment I own is 2 scag ztr's and 36" toro walkbehind. Does anyone have any ideas what the quickest way to cut this thing. Last time I charged the guy 500.00 and it took two guys all day with string trimmers. Thanks for any help.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

A floating mower might work. I don't really know how steep it is without a pic so i wouldn't know for sure if this would work. Good Luck!

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Not knowing the slope (steepness) I would string trim about a foot or so up from the water then try the walk behind, going around the levy, if the ground is firm enough. I'd be afraid of using the 'Z', being to top heavy for the slope.

Jim

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

dont know! you might try one of them walk behind trimmers

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

trimming is your safest bet, i'd say

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have done retention ponds many times - I have the equipment to do it and you probably know what it is - 4wheel drive 595 JD with a flex-deck - don't care how steep the sides are, I am done in 10 minutes. I can even hang part of my mower out into the waters edge an go. Think about it - I do have a web site

7. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Why not use a dreaded 21" pushmower. Light enough you can hold it from turning over, make sure it is one with an oil pump though and not a slinger type. I had a hill like that once and thats how I handled it.

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

we would use a Steiner 4x4 mower with dual wheel kit. I could back the ass end into the lake and crawl up the side with no slipping at all, talk about a fun mower. If you can find one to borrow/rent, that would be your best bet since you are only mowing once a year. Also if it is real steep and I mean walking is dangerous then get a Hustler Hillsider 4600.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The 36" walk should do it or at worst go with a 21"............
    Even a 21" will outdo a string trimmer.
    A rider is out due to the water at the bottom because sooner or later a ZTR is going to slide down one of those hills.
    HeHe.......ask me how I know............ :cool:

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Oh My - Oh My - the stuff is out there to do what you need - wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!