Help deciding on new WB Hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I have lots of extra money in the Biz checking account and I have been thinking of updating some equipment. Heres what I currently have.

22" Push mower
    36" WB Belt drive
    52" ZTR

I want to upgrade to a Hydro WB, but I am unsure what size I want. I currently only have one property with a gate that is less than 38" wide. The rest are all big enough to get the Z on but I dont always us it on them.

Think I should go 48" or stick with the 36"? If there are any reasons you feel a certian way I would like to know.

I guess that Hustler gatemaster isnt going to be ready in time or I would probably buy that. Oh well.

Jim

2. Exmark Turf Tracer 52"

Same width and pattern as your ZTR.

Same blades, same spindles, etc......

How many guys you got working?

Why not take in the gates?

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You've already got a 36", go for a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer. I love my 36" and have used a 52" a little bit. Exmark is probably your best bet. Good luck.

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

get the 52 turf tracer. same blades on all three mowers. 48 is not bad to have but keep it simple as far as blades go. don't get a hydro 36. waste of money with occasional use. stick to the 52.

Scot

5. Jimbo

Thanks guys...... some more info.

Just me mowing at the moment but I want to be prepared if I need help in the future.

The 36" belt drive is going to be traded in on whatever I buy. Thats why I am having a hard time deciding. I already have one account that I can only do with a small machine. That being said I am not going to buy a $4000.00 mower for one account.

Oh yeah, I also use the 36" at my own home.

Jim

6. marley

marley LawnSite Member

YOU MIGHT TRY A EXMARK HYDRO VIKING, SUPER TUFF!!

7. I don't know your whole situation, but why don't you use the ZTR in that backs that it will fit in?

On the one you can use the push mower.

What I see is being solo you will be using the Wb more and the ZTR would be sitting on the trailer because you will use the wb for the backs, then you will have to switch mowers to do the back, so you might as well use the 52" Wb on the whole lawn.

Why a Wb in the first place? You said your ZTR wil fitt in all but one?

8. Jimbo

LGF-

I started with the WB, and it comes in handy when I need to Bag, so I think it is good to have.

About using the Z on the backs... Several of my properties either have steep off chamber hills (with chain link fences at the bottoms) or lots of tight spots, and the Z does not like them to much. Lots of tire spin and damaged turf because of the extra weight too.

Oh yeah...The one child care center has several gates and it is a pain in the rear getting off the Z to open and shut gates so I find myself using the WB, but not all the time.

Jim

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both a 2001 Exmark 52" hp, 23 Kohler and a Viking hydro 48, 18 Kohler" with a steerable sulky. I find myself using the w/b far more than the Z. I thought I would use the Z more but with the w/b and sulky combo I can do anything that the Z can do. So now I find that one machine is all I really needed after all. I'm now in the process of trying to sell the Z and buy a second w/b, probally a TTHP 48". I know this will seem insane to some here that I choose a w/b with sulky over a Z but for my paticular situation this works best. As far as hydro over belt, I have owned both and prefer the hydro hands down for ease of use. Good luck.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'd think about a 48 with a velky/sulky/hulky/ bulky or what floats your boat;) . Second, it's a no brainer to go with something without pistol grips. Naturally, the Hustler has the best system. Also, the 48 Hustler with 17kaw, will pull you along just fine. I have many lawns where a 48 is actually faster than a rider. As far as the one lawn with a gate, either drop the lawn, get the person to put in a bigger gate( which I've had people do), or just keep the 36 for that one/two lawns.
    Finally, the Hustler is just much faster than any pistol grip machine, and that's why I'd go for it.
    Pete