1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Deere or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bigorange03, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bigorange03

bigorange03 LawnSite Member

Ok guys i need some input,i have 2 mowers i am looking at. One is a 2007 JD 757 with 360 hrs 60" 25hp Kawasaki 7 iron deck verry clean and home owner used asking $5,800. The other mower is a 2007 Exmark lazer 56" 25hp kohler triton deck. In good condition for the hours and age, asking $2,500. I am still fairly new to the business and this will be my first zero turn that i have owned. I have ran plenty of them but i do all my accounts with a 48" w/b. The w/b is on its last leg and it is time to upgrade. Money is a factor i can buy the exmark outright but would have to finance some of the deere. I just mow part time i have a full time job. Pros cons and suggestions on these 2 units would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Are you in the north or south? If in the north that triton deck on the exmark junk. The 757 is a proven mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

Forgot to say the deere is a bit high for a mower going on 6 years old. New they were 8200.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bigorange03

I am in the south TN to be exact. Why if in the north are the triton decks junk?

5. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

They just don't decent, clog easy have tons of clumps. We kbg and fescues
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Given the two choices I'd pick the green one even though I'm a big fan of Exmark.

7. bigorange03

Why is the Deer better than the Exmark?

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

In this case because of the Triton deck. I have never had a Triton deck but I know LCOs who had them and they couldn't wait to get rid of them due to cut quality problems. I only run Exmark machines and always have and they have been very good to me. However, I don't think you would be happy with that particular Exmark.

9. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

save yourself some money and get yourself gravely zt hd. I have had an exmark lazer and a scag and I would rather have the gravely than an exmark any day! Commercial quality, homeowner unit price. Bought one at the end of the 2011 growing season, it now has about 450 hrs, no problems at all. "Gravely puts other mowers in the grave" haha

10. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I have used JD residential mower before I started to cut commercial and they cut like crap for me.

Especially since you are money tight, it's a no brainer to get the Exmark. Wait, I stopped myself in the middle of that sentence.

HOW MANY HOURS DOES THE EXMARK HAVE??

-Michael