Help determining sq footage of mulch job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by merrimacmill, Apr 5, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today for a spring clean up and mulch job. So I went out to measure out the beds and all. The beds have got to be some of the most confusing I've ever seen. Its almost like a crop circle design in some areas. The guy has a circle of mulch, then a ring of gravel around that, then a ring of mulch around that. Then theres like a little straight strip that connects it to another one of these designs and it all links together. I know how to get the square footage of those beds. But hes also got some that are like a big circle with like 1/2 ovals or 1/3 circles or straights all attached and I don't even know where to begin.

The driveway is a turn around driveway, so hes got these beds that wrap around it and they start out about 4 feet wide then wrap around and the closer to the street they get, the narrower they get. I don't know where to start with those either. Should I just eye ball it? It is a pretty big job though. Heres a VERY ROUGH picture I did in paint of the beds. I don't even know if this is exactly what they were like by memory, but this is the type of stuff there is there.

sample beds.jpg

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

no ideas anyone? I'm thinking of just looking at them as rectangles to get a very rough idea then just eye balling it from there. And giving him a range on the price such as it could be $xxx.00 to $xxx.00. I don't know what else to do.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yes length x width skip the ODD shapes then add 50% more and your there
    think you need 2 pallets get 4
    dont give a range bid it and go