Help diagnose the 20hp kohler problem:

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Rose, May 11, 2003.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I am getting frustrated, The 20hp Kohler engine on my new walker is stalling out and dying sometimes. I'll be mowing along and the engine starts to stall, if i put the choke on full it will keep it from dying completely, but it won't even out. As soon as i pull the choke off, it dies again. First happened Friday, called the dealer in Wichita (hours drive) he said that it could be a bad diaphram in the carb. and it may be pumping the fuel into the engine and the oil. He wanted me to bring it to him as soon as I could. Took it to Wichita 7 am sat morning, ran it for an hour, even mowed their lawn with it, ran fine the whole time. Couldn't find any signs of gas in the oil. He changed the fuel filter and basically said that they couldn't do anything until it does it while he can see it. Take it home load it on the mowing trailer go to first job and mow about a minute and it stalls out!!! I call the dealer right then and he suggests I loosen the gas cap or swap it with one on my other mower. Possibly the cap is not venting, and creating a vacuum that is not allowing fuel to be sucked from the tank. Now it works fine all day until the last 5 min of mowing when it stalls out again! Here's something strange I found out, if it dies and I don't turn the key to off and just re-start it it continues to stall and won't run w/o the choke on. But, if i turn the key to OFF, then start it it will run fine, maybe for a minute, maybe 2 hours.

My dealer, who has sold hundreds of these dosn't really have a clue what is going on. I think it may be the fuel pump??? Or something electrical that effects the fuel/carberation system??

BTW: I Do have fuel in the tank and I'm not mowing on any extreme slopes at the time, just flat ground. Checked the air filters and they are all clean. (only 18 hours on the unit).

I'm just hoping that I don't have to take it back to Wichita again, not enough free time in my schedule to do that! I am calling the dealer first thing Monday morn. and telling him that it is still stalling and hopefully he can send someone to fix it.

Thanks to anybody that has any suggestions!

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Check the gas tank and make sure there is no **** floating in it that may be clogging the port in the bottom and stopping fuel flow... ?? Hey you never know.... It sounds to me like a carb problem,, had similar prob with my 8hp blower and there was alot of junk in the carb, cleaned it out real good and ba bam.. works like a champ.. But cant imagine a new machine having too much junk in carb unless there was alot of dirt in the gas ?? ?????? Call walker too ?? they might be able to help you diagnose it as well...

3. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

We had a mower with a similar problem. It had a odd shaped metal gas tank that was difficult to see into. We attached a large glass style fuel filter in line between the tank and carb so that we could watch the fuel flow. It turned out that there was originally a metal chain that attached the gas tank to the gas cap which came apart and would occasionally block the fuel flow. The owner did say that shaking the mower would allow it to momentarily run correctly. Could something have dropped into the tank?

4. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

I JUST HAD A SIMULAR PROBLEM WITH MY 18 HP KOHLER WITH ELECTRIC START. I TOOK THE CARB OFF AND CLEANED IT EVEN THOUGH IT DIDNT LOOK DIRTY, CHECKED THE FUEL PUMP,EVEN TOOK ONE OFF OF ANOTHER MACHINE. BUT IT WOULD ONLY RUN UNDER FULL CHOKE. AFTER TALKING TO TWO MACHANICS AT THE DEALER ONE SAID TO CHECK TO SEE IF THE SILONIOD IN THE BOTTOM OF THE THE CARBERATOR CLICKED WHEN I TURNED THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION. I DID AND IT DIDNT CLICK SO I TRACED THE WIRE BACK TO A FUSE BLOCK UNDER THE DASH BOARD. THE FUSE WAS MELTED. I PULLED IT OUT AND PUT IN A NEW ONE AND IT WORKS NOW. THE NEXT TIME IT DOES THIS TRY MOVING THE WIRES THAT COME THE FUSE BLOCK AND RELAYS.

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

check the fuel filter, and fuel lines, then drain the carb. and see if that helps

6. deere ZTR

deere ZTR LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

We have a small bull dozer hydro drive that all of the sudden started that ****!! It would run good some times some times it would just die out of know where some times it would start extrmely hard dealer worked on three times under waranty before finding out that it had a partialy turned fly wheel key making it run like it was out of time because in effect it was out of time. We told him from the start it sounded like it was out of time but that went in one ear and out the other. How a hydro turned a fly wheel key is beyond me it had never been run hard at all and only had like 40 hours on it.

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

like 1271 said.
    Clean all fuel realated items ie. tank,carb,replace filters,fresh gas. You have the old water in the fuel problem. If you do everything but not the carb you will not solve the problem. FYI- If pulling the choke didn't help then you would have a venting problem.