Help diagnose the problem with 20hp kohler please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, May 11, 2003.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I am getting frustrated, The 20hp Kohler engine on my new walker is stalling out and dying sometimes. I'll be mowing along and the engine starts to stall, if i put the choke on full it will keep it from dying completely, but it won't even out. As soon as i pull the choke off, it dies again. First happened Friday, called the dealer in Wichita (hours drive) he said that it could be a bad diaphram in the carb. and it may be pumping the fuel into the engine and the oil. He wanted me to bring it to him as soon as I could. Took it to Wichita 7 am sat morning, ran it for an hour, even mowed their lawn with it, ran fine the whole time. Couldn't find any signs of gas in the oil. He changed the fuel filter and basically said that they couldn't do anything until it does it while he can see it. Take it home load it on the mowing trailer go to first job and mow about a minute and it stalls out!!! I call the dealer right then and he suggests I loosen the gas cap or swap it with one on my other mower. Possibly the cap is not venting, and creating a vacuum that is not allowing fuel to be sucked from the tank. Now it works fine all day until the last 5 min of mowing when it stalls out again! Here's something strange I found out, if it dies and I don't turn the key to off and just re-start it it continues to stall and won't run w/o the choke on. But, if i turn the key to OFF, then start it it will run fine, maybe for a minute, maybe 2 hours. :dizzy: :cry: :dizzy:

My dealer, who has sold hundreds of these dosn't really have a clue what is going on. I think it may be the fuel pump??? Or something electrical that effects the fuel/carberation system??

BTW: I Do have fuel in the tank and I'm not mowing on any extreme slopes at the time, just flat ground. Checked the air filters and they are all clean. (only 18 hours on the unit).

I'm just hoping that I don't have to take it back to Wichita again, not enough free time in my schedule to do that! I am calling the dealer first thing Monday morn. and telling him that it is still stalling and hopefully he can send someone to fix it.

Thanks to anybody that has any suggestions!
  2. 18 hours? Replace the carb and all of this will vanish. Should be under warrenty.

You got a bad carb.
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

could be trash in your tank or fuel line (from tank to filter)
  4. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

Good be Cap, Trash in Tank, Bad Fuel Filter, Bad Fuel Line or my quess is a bad coil!:dizzy:
  5. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Does it have a electric fuel shut off solenoid ? That might explain why you have to turn the key off and then restart it to run OK for a while, if it is a bad solenoid.
  6. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Does it have a electric fuel shut off solenoid ? That might explain why you have to turn the key off and then restart it to run OK for a while, if it is a bad solenoid.
  7. WildMowMan

WildMowMan LawnSite Member

I agree with the soleniod diagnosis but you may want to check first to see if the ignition isn't faulty..if it runs fine in the OFF position then I wouldn't be so quick to blame the engine...from what you've claimed this is only faulting when the key in ON....try running it in the OFF again and see how long it holds up. Before you waste time tearing into your engine, it would be a helluva lot cheaper if this turned out to be an electrical problem in the ignition switch. Also, another possibility.....newer Kohler engines have interior oil level safety kill mechanisms that prevent you from running them with too little or too much oil.......check your levels.........try the least expensive before the costly!
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You have gotten a lot of good advice check it all out and let us know what you find and what the fix is. These inconsistent problems are the worst to try and troubleshoot.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

well, i had to take the Walker back to the dealer today... still not running for more than a few minutes at a time. Got to the dealership, and it runs fine for an hour...never stalls at all!!! Now I am pissed off. My dealer refuses to just take action and replace the fuel solenoid, carberator, and fuel pump. It is all under warranty, and I would bet Kohler would gladly pay for the new parts to get their engine working properly so they keep a satisifed owner.

This time I left the machine at the dealers and took their demo mower, however it has the standard tires not the low pro. These things have NO TRACTION AT ALL compared to the low pro tires! turned up a slope at a commercial prop I had no troubles with last week, slid backwords with wheels spinninf forward and kinda took out a walk light! I had no where to go! They had busted out the sidewalk to replace it so I had to avoid the hole, a tree and this light...well, at least I didn't turn it over.

I will keep you all posted if I get my problem fixed, I have the worst luck sometimes. Thank you for all the ideas, i passed them on to my dealer (it's more than he had).
  10. Isn't that on the bottom of the carb?