Help diagnosing a problem..

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LouisianaZJ, Sep 4, 2003.

1. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

(I am a newbie to sprinkler system repair, I would appreciate your advice). I have an in ground sprinkler system at my residence. They said it was commercial quality when it was installed (about 20 yrs ago). Well, I have noticed that now one of the sprinkelers (a small pop up one) in zone 1 of the system stays on even when the timer is up in that zone (only two sprinklers in that zone, the other one leaks very slowly). it stays on until I shut off the water to the entire system. All the other zones work perfectly.
    So what type of problem am I looking at, a bad head, problems with the timer, or problems with the valve that is controlled by the timer. (I am leaning towards the valve)
    I can get pics if that helps.

2. LouisianaZJ

3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like a diaphram in the valve needs replacing. It's relatively easy and quick to repair. What kind of valve is it?

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, sounds like the valve will not close all the way. There is probably some type of debris blocking the valve from closing all the way. In many cases a small pebble will get stuck on the diaphragm preventing a solid seal once the valve turns off. Just take the valve apart and see whats in there.

5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

they are right, lousianna. clean out the valve, possible replace the guts.

that will be $64.78, sir.

check, cash or credit card.

brian

6. LouisianaZJ

I paypal, haha
    thanks

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

The 20 year old valve probably needs a rebuild without debris being a factor.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most likely the diaphragm or debris. But could also be a hairline crack in the valve, or solenoid problem.

20 years? Replace it.

9. alwayswet

alwayswet LawnSite Member

diaphram is what I would guess also even a small rip or dirt can do it. If you can't replace the valve you can replace the diaphram and that is very cheap and easy.... Dennis