1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help driving ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Sep 25, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have just bought a ZTR. My first one that I have owned. Here is my problem. How do you stop putting scuffs in a lawn when doing a zero turn? I am putting little bald patches in areas of the lawn trying to turn it. Is it something you get use to? Like I said, It's my first ZTR machine and I have never driven one before. So I thought I would post it out there to all you experienced ZTR drivers.

2. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to remember to keep both wheels moving. Don't stop your inside wheel and turn with your outside wheel. When you get to the end of a pass pull up past the uncut grass that will be your next pass, stop and reverse your inside wheel while at the same time rotate your your outside wheel forward. Practice and you will soon get it.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it ll come with time in the seat.
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

One rule: Never EVER drive one wheel, and let the other one stop. Its simple, come to a complete stop, push one lever foward, and put the other in reverse. Heres a "Y" turn:

mower turning arrows.jpg
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

The Inside tire goes reverse and the outside goes forward. Make sure you don't move too slow otherwise you will still ge that mark. Sometimes i even take wide turns so it isn't exactely a zero turn.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i had this same problem when i was being trained in august on a z rider.

i have to say it was a large change from the scag 3 wheel rider i was used to running.

....and i was being trained on the king of kings...a 72" diesel exmark:dizzy:
  7. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Loren Haus - the Y turn works a lot better specially in very thin skimpy grass were the grass is gets damaged easier. Both me and my wife got in the habit of doing the Y-turn as a preventative measure and today it's 2nd nature to us. It's almost like doing a 3-point turn with your car.
    We also do strict directional mowing and also offset our tracks therefore you wont get those tire tracks and turning points from turning in one spot all the time.
    Pay attention all the time - keep both wheels rolling at all times.
    Good Luck
  8. FlatLander

FlatLander LawnSite Member
    from PA

i too purchaced a zero turn mower, and my question is this, How do you get up or down curbs?
  9. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

back up over curbs, on and off.