1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Echo blower lock up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by L. A. Luz, Dec 16, 2005.

1. L. A. Luz

L. A. Luz LawnSite Member

Please help with some advice on my Echo Shred'n'vac ES2100 - Model Type 1E - Blower. It was running fine when I noticed a screw mounting the side handle was missing. Before installing a new screw, I decided to take the handle off to remove rust and repaint. The four removed screws also secure the starter rope assembly, so it was set aside while painting the handle. I also removed the spark plug, added a little oil to the cylinder, and replaced the plug.

When I put the handle and starter rope assy. back in place, the rope had a very short pull. Thinking maybe the rope needed to be extended when reassembled, or I had missed some type of indexing or mechanical assy. step, I took the rope off again. At that time, I found the part (X) with the cupped metal wings (don't know what to call it) that the inside of the rope assy. mates to, would only turn back and forth maybe 180 degrees or less. I turned it to allow the rope to pull through that limited range of motion. Making sure the rope assy and the plastic lever in part X were in correct position, I put it back together again. When the rope would not pull much, I took it off again and was going to try installing with the rope extended. However, I then found part X would not turn at all - even with the spark plug out.

That does not make sense and I do not have a parts manual, so HELP. My skill at turning the simple into complex has reared its ugly head again.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Let me try a couple questions: With the starter rope assembly out in you hand you can pull the rope out and the spring pulls it back in? With the starter rope off the engine you can turn the crank with your hand and the piston can be rotated easily? When you put oil in the plug hole the compression goes up and you sometimes can't rotate the piston with the starter rope until you get the oil partially out.
  3. L. A. Luz

The rope assy appears normal. The rope is in and the spring retracts it when it is pulled out.

With the rope off and the spark plug out (little or no compression?), I can not turn the crank (part X) where the rope module mounts. That has me stumped.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like something got caught in the blower fan?
  5. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

If you can crank it with the spark plug removed then you just shot too much oil in there.
  6. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I think you said you couldn't turn it even with the plug out and turning it by hand. Sounds like you hydro locked the motor with the oil. When you put oil in the cylinder, sounds like you put too much in it, and put the plug back in, pulled the rope, and the piston flew up against the oil. You can't compress oil, so the rod is moving the piston up, the piston stops and bends the rod. I've seen this a lot with cars and water in the cylinders. That'd be my bet.
  7. L. A. Luz

Thanks to all for your help. I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, but my hard drive crashed and made life less than rosey for awhile.

The solution to the problem comes back to mindless human error. While working on the handle, I noticed a tapped hole in the shroud of the cooling fan (just to the right of the carb). I assumed something had vibrated off, but had no idea what. Anyway, I did know the handle mounting screws had worked loose in the past and had several extras. The mystery tapped hole matched the threads of the handle screws. Since there was nothing visible behind the shroud hole, I put an extra screw in to have a spare handy.

That stupid move created the problem. When the motor was first cranked it did rotate a bit. Then I could move the crank by hand for about a half turn. Another rope pull and she locked up. It turns out that as the cooling fan turned, part of it projected further to its edge and into the space I saw as vacant when putting the spare screw there. Took the spare screw out and the problem was fixed - with the motor, not the owner.

It seems likely that the fan shroud hole is there to intentionally lock the crank for motor maintenance. Thanks again. I learned a few things from your replies.