HELP eingine noise on a Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowbeer, Sep 2, 2002.

1. mowbeer

mowbeer LawnSite Member

I have a problem with a Kohler 24 horsepower engine. When start it up I hear a noise. The faster it runs, the louder it is. When I turn the engine off it usually stops quits. I have had the problem since the start. Any suggestions for me?:drinkup: :cool:

2. And the noise is..................................?

Lifter ticking???

Whining?

What?

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

5 bucks says it's the lifters.

try mobil 1 or amsoil

4. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

I have heard this ticking also (22hp Kohler) Is this lifter ticking common? What grade of synthetic oil would help?

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

okay ill be a smart aleck an say mine dont make any noise when i cut it off either:)
    the only thing that bothers me about your problem is the continuing to get louder as u turn more rpm. mine settles dn after i reach say 2800 rpm.

6. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

I talked w a rep last week asked him about the lifter noise, he said it was a common thing on these engines, he rcommended using a synthetic oil Mobil 1 or Amsoil, I also asked about the backfire problem with the kohler, he recommended to shut off, go to 1/2 throttle and shut off, dont let it sit and idel , he said it causes the fuel to build up and when you shut it off, it allows fuel back into the chamber, thus causing an explosion. So I have tryed this and it works. just some info if it helps.