HELP! electric clutch wont engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Sep 27, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing yesterday and my mower just died as if I turned the key off, I tried to restart it and nothing..... Started to check the battery cables and traced the problem to a blown fuse, replaced the fuse with a bigger one out of my truck for a quick fix, then it started right up, Then i went to engage the blades and nothing happend, Some smoke came up from the switch, which i am thinking was probably because i have a bigger fuse than was in it, But leads to the question what would cause the fuse to blow with the electric clutch and what can i do to get my JD HD75 running again ? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED,

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sonds like you have a short. You will need to trace the wires from the switch to locate the short. Then you will need to find where the short is coming from.
    Rob can probably chime in with some better ways to diagnose the problem.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the electric clutch fried and by installing the larger fuse started to fry the switch instead of the fuse. probably going to have to replace the switch and clutch if you can't find a short to ground in the wire itself.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

khouse said it all.......

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

6. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

8. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

i know not to replace fuse with a larger one, it was just an emergency situation that i had to get it running to get it out of my customers yard. My question is what would cause a fuse to blow in the first place?

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

A Short IN THE LOOP SOMEWHERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVE YOU TRIED A NEW SWITCH?
    HAVE YOU LOOKED AT YOUR WIRES FOR A SHORT?

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Could you yell that just a little louder. I couldn't quite hear you.