Help, Equipment/dealer Problems

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so my dealer accidentaly sold me a 2005 mower when i bought a 2006, i didn't freak out. the only difference is in the 2006 is there is a 12v. outlet. they installed that but it just blows all of the fuses in all of the 12v. chargers(cell phone, PDA, MP3, all draw less than 2 amps, it is rated at 20 amps). they don't know why, but it's been two weeks now and i'm truely upset. i've contacted the manufaturer myself and am waiting for a response, my grandfather who has been buying equipment from this family owned dealer for over 40 years, is going to see what is up, he can get a response out of them better than anyone else. They don't want to replace the mower with a 2006 model. they now have my mower for testing, it is my only mower, other than a 21". what is the next step?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Been there done that, its no accident. A dealer knows what year he bought the equipment. He's just trying to get rid of it with out you knowing...

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you paid for an '06 then an '06 you should have, is my thing...

The next step is to find another dealer first. Then, once you have not only found this dealer but you need to ask some questions and walk around the shop and look and stuff, maybe ask some folks around town because:
    You need a reputable, reliable dealer. Generally speaking, there is only one or two per county or city, so it pays to find the right one but also not to discontinue an existing relationship before plunging into the next because you don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire. Hopefully the one you're with is the not-so-good one and the other dealer is better, but you don't know and neither do I.

So once you find another dealer with whom things can work out, then I'd go back to the first one and start asking about not only a cancellation of contract (if it's on credit) and a full refund of any money paid. If the guy balks, straight up it is time to cut the bs, you paid for an '06 and they sold you something else, and you've been nice so far but now it's not a month later and you don't got nothing you paid for that works for you, and you run a business which requires the use of all purchased equipment with no questions asked. So either they can fix your machine now (and I would look at my watch) or you may have to take your business to (and name the other dealer)...

This should, at the very least, get your present dealer hot under the collar. If they do, after the little above tirade fix your machine, then I'd say stick with the guy anyhow because a lot of times they just get real busy and one hates to put the foot up their butt over this stuff but sometimes I have to do it, too (reserve option I use maybe once every year or three).

I don't do it a lot but when I get into a bind ... Most times I let it ride, especially if I can.
    But if you need the machine, you gotta do what you gotta do, sorry ... try not to be too hard but...

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

better change your signature around to a "2005" broadmoor.....:waving:

5. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

So what ever happened?
    Did the dealer correct it n give u a 2006?

6. mike lane lawn care

i never did get the '06, she wouldn't budge on it, so they installed the upgrade that makes it the same as a 2006, but they will be getting very little of my buisness from now on, except warranty repairs

7. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

that suks!!
    did u contact bbb,attorney general,simplicity,etc?

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. what's the commercial warranty on that Broadmoor?

9. mike lane lawn care

it's one year as i was told, 2 years residential, however, they give me the residential 2 years, as i won't be using it a ton of hours per week. that's the one good thing that came out of this.

10. mike lane lawn care

i contacted simplicity, they notified my dealer and turned it over to them, i never did contact a lawyer or BBB, i should have, but it's too late now.