Help estimating cost per Tree, Shrub, Perennials

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hiringus, Aug 26, 2008.

1. hiringus

hiringus LawnSite Member

Hi guys, have been reading this site for a while now but finally need alittle help.

I'm trying to put together a bid for a project and not quite sure what the average cost per complete install of these items would be. They all include excavation, preparation, placement, mulch and disposal of unused excavated material.

Obviously I would have more play on what I charged per unit on the grasses and perennials due to the number but what about the others specifically? Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to bidding these types of things?

18, tall trees 6'-10'

8, large shrubs 3'-4'

48 small shrubs 2-3 gal

2132 grasses and perennials 1qt

Any hints or suggestions would be extremely useful!

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

3.5 times your cost for these items would be my estimate: including tree guying, all prep, planting, mulching, fert....etc

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

i would agree. if you are doing prep, staking, and mulch 3.5x would be a good number.

we try and get 2-3x more without any prep/mulching, but since it looks like a medium job, find the plants at a super low price and price them at 3.5x normal wholesale price.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above posts.