1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HELP! - Exmark vs Scag. Need to make decision tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skgolfer, Mar 26, 2006.

1. skgolfer

skgolfer LawnSite Member

I can buy a 2002 Scag Turf Tiger 25 HP Kohler/61" deck with just under 1000 hrs or an 2003 Exmark Lazer Z 27HP Kohler/60" deck with 420 hours. They both seem to be in good shape. The Lazer is $5200, the TT is $5000. Good local dealers for both models. Are these good prices and which machine would you choose?
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the exmark since it is newer and has less hours. I would tell you scag but almost 1000 hours no way.
  3. greenecare_rep

greenecare_rep LawnSite Member

After operating both brands my personal opinion is preference to the Turf Tiger but I think the cost difference between the mowers for the amount of hours is not justifiable. I would try to get the dealer to lower the price of the Tiger but if that doesn't work I would buy the Exmark because they are both great machines
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the Exmark. It has a bigger engine and less hours.
  5. skgolfer

skgolfer LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. What about the price for the Exmark. Is $5200 reasonable?
  6. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Both are good machines. I don't like the drive belt arrangement that Exmark uses, just extra moving parts to cause problems. I think the Scag is probably $6-800 too high.
  7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with him.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

2nd, Iluvscag,less Hours Buyer Beware Of Any Mower With Alot Of Hours.
  9. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a Scag man, but personally for the price difference and the lazer having less hours I would definitely go with the Exmark. I think it is a good price, I would probably offer $5,000. If you can save $200, then you can buy another piece of equipment or just pocket it. Good Luck!
  10. skgolfer

skgolfer LawnSite Member

Thanks all. The negotiation started at 5500. Got down to 5200. Buying from a dealer who is including oil change, new belt and air filter and a one year warranty. So I think I am going to go that way. Thanks again.