Help Fast $35,000 Bid Tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass_Slayer, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

u guys know owens corning insulation, shinlges, and all the other crap they make?

well i can bid on a plant in jackson, tn real close to me. 180 acres part mowing part bushogging. i mow for a guy that does machine shop work for them and he put in a good word for me. the only pob is i got to do the bid by tomorrow!!!!!!!

im gonna look at it tomorrow afternoon to see what all is involved. this job will mean buying new equip. and a whole lot of work. what do u think

the bid my inside guy told me to go for is between 32 and 35,000
    for four months work.

tell me something please!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

2. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Can you buy all the equipment you'd need to get and make a profit for $32,000? Would take a lot of man hours.

3. Grass_Slayer

have a 54" z and a ford 3000 with a 5' bush hog, my dad will front me the money for another z and maybe a new bush hog (the one i have is a piece of crap) might get a big tractor mounted mower instead of the z!?

4. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Something that big is great, but is that really what you want?

Half way through bidding some large properties this year, I decided I didn't want the hastle of dealing with this. I could make more money residentially, and liked to watch my "canvas" form.

Do you want to strap your self down to something like this where if some equipment broke down, or just wanted to take a small get-away, you couldn't?

5. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

We had a contract about 3 years ago that had 216 acres. We had alot of weed wacking edging and cutting to be done. We ran a crew of 5 guys. Two to cut two to weed wack and one to edge.
    Equipment line up:
    1 12' Toro grounds master
    2 60" Exmark ZTR's
    3 Weed wackers
    1 Stick edger
    I don't know if you have any edging or weed wacking to be done... We did everything in 5 days. On big wide open lots it's great because most just have alot of cutting. My .02 keep a crew on just that contract. I would'nt start to invest too much money. Trust me. These contracts come and go. Its good if you can lock them into a 3 or 4 year contract. After that its up for bid again. Most of the time the lowest bid wins. I was lucky to get in. My uncle put in the good word for me. You know the saying "its not want you know but who you know.
    Hope that helps.
    Travis

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

How many times will this 180 acres have to be whacked down over the 4 months?

7. yardboyltd

Also, your insider is great, but you can't count on him

Last year I bid a large industrial property that my grandfather had worked for, for over 30 years as the top product engineer and designer with a degree in physics. He had alot of friends there and senority for a non-management position.

Anyways, I got outbid by dollars to the son-in-law of the maitence foreman in charge of bids. His daughter and son-in-law soon got tired of it, and so the maitence foreman was stucked doing it with his is Murray Rider!! :) The curbs were never trimmed either...

The sweetest revenge is that he got fired, so I'm bidding on it this year, and have a good chance...

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Yard Boy,

If you don't want the hassle of dealing with the industrial/commercial spots, why bid on it again this year? ;)

9. yardboyltd

The sites I had been bidding on were 10 times what this one is.

I do commercial just, not >10k annually per contract usually...

10. Grass_Slayer

the contract is for one year which sux really bad, and i probably wouldnt need all the equip. later.

im beginning to think i dont want this cause when i go back to college after the summer i wont have enough time to do it

i think i'll let it go for now. my insider said that if i really wanted it it would be there again next year!!