1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help Fast! Which ZTR? Snapper or Exmark

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by huntingfool, Apr 10, 2003.

1. huntingfool

huntingfool LawnSite Member

Need help! Money in my pocket, ready to buy, and the grass is starting to grow.

I am looking for a ZTR for residential use on about 3 to 4 acres. Kind of rough areas in spots, have a decent grade hill to climb in one spot also. In front, have some trees and will run over some small limbs.

I've looked at a lot of different ZTR's and am thinking about the following two....

Snapper 21HP Kawasaki 52" deck $6,400
    Exmark Lazor Z 20hp Kohler 52" deck $6,400

I think the snapper has a 3 year warranty for residential use.

Any advice is helpful
    Thanks

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

MY Vote!

lazer resized.jpg

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Go with the Exmark would be my advice. Demo both if you can.

4. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

Demo both and make your choice as to which will meet your needs. Also think about service and support. I have as one of my mowers a 61" Snapper with a 25hp Kohler and I love it. The joystick control is the best.

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo both...But I personally would buy Exmark over Snapper, but Toro over Exmark..

6. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

why Toro over Exmark? Just curious.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its just a personal thing for me, we've just always run Toro

8. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Toro has a different deck than Exmark but the same chassis (Toro bought Exmark a few years ago) - the differences in deck are: Toro: "Super Flow System" grass clippings are not processed blade-to-blade but out around front, spindles are greasable cast iron and tapered roller bearings. Exmark: a bit more like mulching design with clippings going blade-to-blade, spindles are sealed aluminum ball-bearing. I chose Toro because it seemed to be more traditional commercial design but I have not seen bad comments about the Exmark design, which would be much less maintenance and I believe the cut is a bit better.