HELP!! Fence Removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Neal0301, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

I need to remove an old wire rusty fence from some farm land that it going to be turned into a lot for someones home. Im not sure what specific tools and techniques that i need to do use to get it removed. Or if i should tell these people im working for that i cant do it and must contract someone to do it. :cry:
    I need the money and want to do it...payup

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is it hog wire or chainlink? Fisrt start by removing staples/clips from posts If one or the other the best way is to wrap it good with a chain and pull it out, now if its metal posts I have a trick for those hard to remove bastards. Get your self about an 18" log and place at bottom of metal post, attach chain to top of post and winch/pull them out...works like a champ. You will roll to post right out of the ground.

Also a small dozer or bobcat will rip fence out no problem.

3. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Its a woven fence with the metal posts, the ones with the V that dig into the ground.

4. cgaengineer

I gave you the right advice...the posts will be the most time consuming part of the removal...but with my handy trick you will have them out with ease. If you could get a second person to move log to next post and re-attach chain, this job would go alot faster.

The log allows the post to bend over and then it lifts the post right out of the ground...it will ruin the post, but who cares.

Rolling the wire up to dispose is going to be tough

5. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Ok and im getting a friend of mine to help me with the posts. Now if i dont have a whinch what can i use...brute force?

6. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

I guess i could use my truck but that might be a recipe for disaster ahahaha

7. cgaengineer

Use a chain attached to truck...you will be suprised at the leverage you will have with the log rolling the post out.

8. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

ok i hope my 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 has the pull. It should. Now would i want to run it in low gear or just drive. Im new to this so bare with me please...thanks

9. cgaengineer

I have a Toyota 4x4, but have a winch...I have pulled them out with chain and truck though so your Ranger shouldnt have a problem. I would run your truck in 4 low for sure.

Let me know how this works for you.

10. Neal0301

Neal0301 LawnSite Member

Ok i will keep you posted. Probably tomorrow night is when ill let ya know how it went. Thanks for your help!