Help, Fescue looking brown 1st day of real heat!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, May 21, 2006.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

Last year we decided to plant fescue seed in Sept. The grass grw in well and was thick and lush up until yesteray. It was about 87 deg F in the Atlanta area yesterday and my grass was looking brown and thin when I got home about 3pm. I immediately started to water it, and first thing this morning. I cut it at about 3.5 in or so to withstand the heat, but the way it's looking, I don't think it can stand the whole summer. Any suggestions? I water it about once a week for about 30min. It's only 2500sq ft.

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

When was your last fertilization and what did you apply?

This is when you can get into trouble if your Fescue has too much Nitrogen available.

I would suggest applying a 5-10-31 type fertilizer and then water in well. The Potassium will help prepare it for Summer heat stress.

You will most likely need to water at least 2-3 times per week as the temps rise, and only in the early morning hours. Decrease your watering times if you increase the frequency.

3. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

You need to give your lawn at least an inch of water per week. You are probably not giving it enough water. Also, if your sprinker(s) can put out an inch in 30 minutes most of it is running off. Like previously said, I'd spread the waterings out to at least 3 times a week and give it at least 1/3" per watering.