Help Figuring An Estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dozerman21, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, I've got a job that's bigger than most that I do. Here's what I'm looking at:

App. 84,500 SF that needs the sod stripped off and carried app. 50 yards to stock pile.

The lot is fairly level, however I do need to fill in some low spots and cut down some high spots that hold water, along with one corner that need a 5-6 loads of fill dirt (no charge on hauling the dirt, just to grade it). Nothing real major, I'm figuring it will take around 6 hours to get it pretty close using a dozer.

Harley Rake the entire area graded.

I would also like to know how much seed and straw I would need, and what to charge separate for that.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use a mini skid steer for leveling.

Not sure about the cost of fill dirt, but the rule is double the cost for install, plus a transport fee of $ 45.00- $65.00 per hour. So if your dirt cost $15.00 per cubic yard, then to install would be $30.00. Or just charge the cost plus transport fee plus flat hourly rate for grading.

As for harley rake I charge by the acre and its my job to get it finished in a timely manner. This price includes seed and straw.

1/4 acre @ $1500.00, needs 15 bails of straw @$3.00 per bail, & 3 bags of seed
    1/2 acre @ $2000.00 needs 30 bails of straw @ 5 bags of seed
    1 acre @ $2500.00 needs 60 bails of straw and 9 bags of seed

NOW THESE MAY NEED ADJUSTING BASED ON WHAT YOU ARE BLOWING WITH AND SUCH! I TRY TO OVER ESTIMATE A LITTLE AND USE THE LEFT OVER FOR THE NEXT JOB.

If you are using a PTO driven hopper on the back on your tractor, you will be able to spread the seed nice and thick and even.

I hope that helps.

Tim

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

4-5lbs of seed per thousand square feet or 400lbs for your job.
    You should use a starter fertilizer as well. A 50lb bag should cover 10,000 sq ft.